blue smoke on start up

87 national

My motor is a fresh rebuild with about 800 miles on it. When i start my car i get a blue puff of smoke, it last for about 3 seconds. If it sits over night and i start it this wont happen. It is only if you have the car running and shut it off and you restart it within 6 hours or so. Does not matter if it was off 1 minute it will do it. I did notice there was a film of oil in my throttle body when i took my pipe off the other day, so my guess whould be the turbo right?. The turbo has really no play though. Any idea this is bothering me.

throttle body means pcv if its in the turbo outlet going to the intercooler then its the turbo.

I know this sounds stupid...but I say with a fresh rebuild like that, 800 miles, just ignore it for awhile and it will probably sort itself out. Could be anything like a ring that hasn't seated right or a valve seal or whatever. If it keeps burning oil even after it warms up and you're driving, then you have a problem maybe.

I say that from experience btw. Mine used to fog the town for a few minutes right after I installed the new motor. Then it just stopped finally.

I am going to go with turbo to because i pulled the pcv and no oil there. Could the turbo maybe just need a oil restrictor on it?

If you're running a stock head with stock valves and without a positive guide seal on the exhaust it's probably a small amount of oil migrating down the exhaust guide onto the back of the valve which burns off when you start the car. Pretty harmless really but looks crappy when you start the car up in a public place. You can install some umbrella type seals to help keep the oil off the guide.

Neal