Blowing oil out of dipstick.

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
It is blowing oil out of the dipstick tube under boost. Oil is clean (no water). Since doing some intake work back in the winter that is about all I have done different. I've actually just started driving the car again after it being down for about a year. It idles and drives just fine but when boosting it throws oil out of the tube onto the headers causing a smoke screen when I come to a stop. Any body had this problem before?
Steve

There are several post about this happening. Since the intake's been re-installed I'd suspect that the intake gaskets leaking into the crank case.

Do you have any crankcase breathers installed on the engine?

During vacuum, the PCV will pull the crankcase pressure down. During boost, the PCV is supposed to close and prevent boost pressure from entering the crankcase where it could contribute to the blowby. If boost pressure blows into the crankcase through a leaky PCV it will generate gobs of crankcase pressure and cause the problem you have.

In addition to a properly functioning PCV, you should have some open breathers on the engine to allow the crankcase to vent normal blowby during boost.

You could also cap off the PCV and seal it up, and rely only on the open breathers to vent the crankcase, but if you do this you will smell the crankcase vapors when the vehicle is stopped or moving slowly.

I didn't add any valve cover breathers or grommets. It does have the stock pvc valve. I checked by blowing air through it. It seals off 98% but it does pass some air but it doesn't seem enough to cause this problem but you never know. I really don't want to remove the intake again.

u cheack the cylinders for holding pressure with a check gauge ? My car usta lift the heads high boost an loose coolant out the tail pipe ... then it blew the hg an had oil everywhere an the dip stick was sticking out
399512_495615560453244_1007742230_n.jpg

320394_495616037119863_137243814_n.jpg

u cheack the cylinders for holding pressure with a check gauge ? My car usta lift the heads high boost an loose coolant out the tail pipe ... then it blew the hg an had oil everywhere an the dip stick was sticking out
I haven't done a compression test. It still runs great and I have only pushed around 15 psi boost so far.

Since I am a "simple person", the first thing I would do is a "simple" compression test. :confused:

you said the intake was "ABOUT" all that you did...was there anything else? i had the same problem after a new engine install....oil was blowing out the dipstick tube and breathers....found out there was a piece missing on the inside of the breathers...fixed and still had issue....changed my pcv valve, and it stopped coming out the breathers, but still out the dipstick tube...the fit between the stick and tube seemed pretty loose to me, so i did some experimenting and found a fix....got some electrical shrink wrap, cut to size and installed on dipstick tube...i may have used 2 pieces, but i think i went 1 at a time until i got a tight fit with the dipstick.....22 psi so far and no blowout.....

you said the intake was "ABOUT" all that you did...was there anything else? i had the same problem after a new engine install....oil was blowing out the dipstick tube and breathers....found out there was a piece missing on the inside of the breathers...fixed and still had issue....changed my pcv valve, and it stopped coming out the breathers, but still out the dipstick tube...the fit between the stick and tube seemed pretty loose to me, so i did some experimenting and found a fix....got some electrical shrink wrap, cut to size and installed on dipstick tube...i may have used 2 pieces, but i think i went 1 at a time until i got a tight fit with the dipstick.....22 psi so far and no blowout.....
That was all I did to the long block set up. Everything else was turbo and pipe work so it shouldn't have an effect on this. Does the pcv supposed to seal off 100%? I have another one but it is exactly the same as the one I'm using now so I think that is how it is supposed to be. I have another valve cover with the breather hole already drilled but I'll have to buy a new breather for it tomorrow. I'll see if that works to relieve the pressure. I tried tightening the intake bolts just in case it was leaking there but only got very very little turn on a couple of the intake bolts.

I've had a blown head gasket cause this before. It blew the center cylinder up on the top by the intake and not between the other cylinders like usual. All that compression leaked into the block and blew oil out of my oil fill cap, dip stick, etc. The damn car still ran great. Just made a mess.

yes, pcv should seal 100%, otherwise you'll be pushing boost past it, into the crankcase!!

yes, pcv should seal 100%, otherwise you'll be pushing boost past it, into the crankcase!!
I'll get a new one. I installed one of the valve cover vents and that actually stopped the oil blowing from the tube but I agree that I need a pcv.

I'll get a new one. I installed one of the valve cover vents and that actually stopped the oil blowing from the tube but I agree that I need a pcv.
get one from RJC...i just got one when i ordered my boost controller....nice piece....

Compression test didn't show anything: 1-120, 2 through 6 had 130 each so that seems good to me.