Blow off Valve

it will be a mix topic, hmm a bypass could save the turbo with the sound but if your looking for the sound then hook it up. I was thinking about this only to save my turbo a bit, a bypass could do the same but not sound i think(idk) what brand are you gonna go with?? try frozenboost.com might be knock offs but if it works then hey!:cool: hmm what are you plans for the car??

it will be a mix topic, hmm a bypass could save the turbo with the sound but if your looking for the sound then hook it up. I was thinking about this only to save my turbo a bit, a bypass could do the same but not sound i think(idk) what brand are you gonna go with?? try frozenboost.com might be knock offs but if it works then hey!:cool: hmm what are you plans for the car??

Where do you put the blow off valve and how?

Well, this is a topic that will always bring lots of questions, i learned here and from past experience that is nearly impossible to use one and make it work as its supposed to. Mine opened on full boost and went psh psh psh, sounded great but didnt do the job.

Good luck and im open to corrections if im wrong, have a great day

Not sure how to make it work, for one, you need the BOV:rolleyes: 2 the adpator or way to hook it up to the intake tube. 3 have it hooked up right and adjusted(when you want it to open) so read up on it pros/cons etc. This is a very mixed topic like i said:confused: I have heard on manual a BOV or bypass valve is great. Something about it kepts the tubo spooled up. Its really hard to figure out why a turbo car didnt come with one and other turbocharged cars did. Then again we only have a auto not stick but whos to say thats why. If you want the WHOOSH sound or a mild whoosh or..... a lil whoosh haha;) go for an adj bov. tho i would love to see a TR with one a pic/sound clip just to see if it sounds nice or not.

The Hot air is considered drawthru....

throttle body is before the turbo....

theres no need for a BOV really..... unless your trying to really keep the boost high during a shift, or out of a corner...

Having the throttle body in front of the turbo uses oldskool turbo thinking to control boost and turbine speed. letting off the pedal closes the throttle posing a large restriction ahead of the impeller slowing it down.

This was an important method for highpower carb systems in the early 70s. and thus buick learned and used this.

However, a BOV would be benificial on a Intercooler converted Hotair, where the mass of air is larger before it reaches its final destination (the added increase of total IC system volume) . Having the ability to vent the pressure when the Pedal is let off will improve life of the seals in the throttle body and the turbo.

A.j.

On a Hot-Air with no intercooler it would be a waste of time and money. Spend the money on getting a larger downpipe or a modification that will provide you with a gain.

PLUS... When you make even 2psi and let off next to someone...who has their window down... and scare the crap out of them. :D

The main reason is to let off pressure between shift so the turbo stays up to speed. Since a hot air car has a throttle body before the turbo you are cutting off the air to the turbo anytime you left off the throttle which is going to slow it down. Most turbos blow through the throttle body so you need the blow off valve to relieve the pressure between the turbo and throttle body so the air doesn't try to go back through the turbo. The only benefit on a hot air car is maybe a little easier on the bearing in the turbo and the sound if you are into that. Venting the blowoff valve to the atmoshpere to hear it instead of back into the motor ahead of the throttle body will freak out year MAF readings. Be prepared for black exhaust tips and sooty bumpers!

I was going to disagree with you on the MAF but then woke up and realized I have the MaxEffort MAFless on my car...so nevermind. :D

The main reason is to let off pressure between shift so the turbo stays up to speed. Since a hot air car has a throttle body before the turbo you are cutting off the air to the turbo anytime you left off the throttle which is going to slow it down. Most turbos blow through the throttle body so you need the blow off valve to relieve the pressure between the turbo and throttle body so the air doesn't try to go back through the turbo. The only benefit on a hot air car is maybe a little easier on the bearing in the turbo and the sound if you are into that. Venting the blowoff valve to the atmoshpere to hear it instead of back into the motor ahead of the throttle body will freak out year MAF readings. Be prepared for black exhaust tips and sooty bumpers!