Blow Off Valve Help/Advice

fxdxlr8

I have a couple of questions about Blow Off Valves. First it looks like there are at least 2 types of BOVs. One with a single sample line from the plenum after the throttle body and another that has a sample line before and after the throttle body. Are there dis/advantages to either setup? Can the type with the sample line before the throttle body be manipulated to open and allow the turbo to spin up? Is it simply the pressure differential between the 2 sides of the throttle body that causes the diaphragm the lift? I gather that springs are used to preload the diaphragm and that it depends on the vacuum to overcome the spring. I see the springs are rated by inches of vacuum. Could someone tell me how much vacuum our cars pull at idle? I am running a HPQ70 on a solid roller 274cid motor.

Is there such a thing as a BOV controller?

I’d like to run my motor up on an engine dyno to start dialing it in. I didn’t want to be slamming the throttle shut without a BOV.

What happens when the compressed air is blown off. Does the car go rich right away. Would a dual port BOV be the answer? I am running speed density, no MAF ( FAST)

Any opinions and ideas are appreciated.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...pte-6765-bb-ported-shroud-blow-off-valve.html

Interesting read above in ref to the Buicks.

The dual port BOV have to reference point..most are single port. The port is a reference signal to the piston inside the BOV.
Boost keeps it closed and then the decel/lift off throttle post boost vac signal pulls the piston open and vents the compressor surge boost and equalizes PSI in the IC plumbing.

I have never heard of a BOV controller and there is no need for one.

Sure you will be fine with the BOV on the SD setup.

I run a Blitz SSBOV but your setup is hairy backed knuckle dragging so I would get a Tial or a Turbonetics Godzilla form Jack at Cottons

Buick Grand National, Turbochargers & Related Parts | Cotton's Performance Buick Grand National Parts & Service

Good luck :cool: