block prep

My way...

what do you guys use to clean ur blocks before assembly?

I use carb cleaner to start with. That gets the worst of the oils off. [Purple Stuff works well, too.]
I then use full strength Mr Clean, engine cleaning brushes, hot water.
Once the washing is done w/ hot water, I immediately spray the entire engine down w/ WD-40. Do this B4 you blow the the water off. If you blow it first, surface rust WILL appear B4 you can get the WD on it.
Once cleaned, WD'd, I go after the cyl walls w/ engine oil and white paper towels. I repeat this until there's no crud showing on the towels.
Once all is clean, I recheck all critical dimensions, and record them on a build sheet, then bag it.
When assembly is about to start, I go over the cyl walls w/ MEK, to remove all the oily residue/dust. I use NO towels on the parts. Air gun ONLY!

Oh ya, I do NO assy work if someone else is there. Bull$hitting cost me a race engine rebuild..Not again!:D

We put the block on a turntable in a spray wash cabinet that a 5 h.p. pump pushes 200 degree cleaning solution out of about 20 oscilating nozzles for five minutes and then rinse it with a 3500 psi power washer.
If you do not have access to one of those you can use or engine degreaser or a strong soap, brush it thoroughly through all oil passages and everywhere in the block that oil comes in contact with, rinse with hot water, and dry immediately.

is it ok to use brake cleaner? i started using that, but it left a little haze on the cyliners. im not sure if it will do any damage so i wiped it down and stopped. this is the first engine im assembling myself and would like as much input as possible.