Blew my first Head gasket

Pull the engine and get it lookin good painting and cleaning!! Much easier done out of the car... I take the AC compressor and power steering and bungie them off to the side without unhooking any lines..Also zip tie as much of the wire harness as you can get out of the way on the drivers side...Cometic gaskets are good to use especially if you are going to run high boost applications..Also if you have the stock timing chain this would be a good time to upgrade there as well...Good luck it's not that bad just did it myself and sadly enough everytime I do it, it gets easier!!

This would be my list:

1) Head gaskets (Cometic's)
2) ARP head studs
3) Look into having the heads decked to ensure proper seal
4) Intake gasket
5) Front cover gasket kit / Timing chain upgrade
6) Some high temp paint for the headers
7) Turbo oil drain gasket / oil pan gasket / header gaskets
8) Possibly a d.pipe gasket (although I reuse mine with no leaks)
9) oil and anti freeze
10) Some good RTV sealant for gaskets

+1 on this list. Contact a good engine builder like RPE. If your goal is mid 11 I would only do a high grade headgasket. There have been 3 guys in the local area, that have pulled stock headgaskets out and replaced them with ARP studs and Cometics. There is a caveat with the ARP studs, in that the two upper/outer studs in some occasions does not have enough threads on them and will not allow the head to fully seat. However, they truly offer great clamping force.

+1 on this list. Contact a good engine builder like RPE. If your goal is mid 11 I would only do a high grade headgasket. There have been 3 guys in the local area, that have pulled stock headgaskets out and replaced them with ARP studs and Cometics. There is a caveat with the ARP studs, in that the two upper/outer studs in some occasions does not have enough threads on them and will not allow the head to fully seat. However, they truly offer great clamping force.

I always add an additional washer to these studs. ARP screwed up on the length of these two studs (on each head) and they usually need an additional washer to get full torque value/clamping force.

Ok....Gas was a few weeks old at least... The car sets a lot ...
Alky system looks to have been working jug level was lower I know I topped it off prior.
Ran the car and it was missing making a blown header gasket sound on the passenger side from under the intake. No smoke from the tail pipes and the oil and water both looked fine. Compression check ... Drivers side 150,150,155 Passneger side 145, 0 and couldnt get the tester in the back hole.... so number 4 middle passenger is blow out id assume....

I have been reading a lot and man the more I read the more confused I get on head gaskets

Options seem to be
GM or Felpro replacements...

Pro they act like a fuse and blow sometimes preventing more serious damage.
Existing head and deck finish should be fine, easy install.
con They blow out easy sometimes and cause grief like I have now....

Cometic....
Pro... Very strong reuseable
Cons sometimes leak oil and water, deck and head must be finished for optimum seal
may pass problem down to more expensive items to fix if the engine detonates.

RJC
Pro same as cometic
Cons tricky installation to get it right, More serious engine damage possible.

SO I feel I am between the Stock or Felpro or RJC...

On the head studs why not trim a little off the threads with a band saw so you do not have to stack washers ??? Are the ARP head bolts as good ??

Clean (or replace) the oil pick up screen!!! Alot of junk could be on there.

Plan to do that.
I was also thinking I might should pull the bearing caps and check the bearings. Any potential pit-falls to doing this on these buicks ?

Re-thinking the cometics, are they ok on un machined decks and heads I heard they were really sensitive about surface finish or they woul leak water etc....