Blazer hubs

87 Grey T

So ill be starting on my Blazer/C5 front brake conversion this week and was hoping to get some helpful info about a few minor things like the ABS plug on the hub. What to do with it? Clip it off? Plug it up? Not to sure. Also how much if any grease to add inside of the spindle cavity?

The hole in the center needs to be plugged with a freeze plug first, and then pack the knuckle with grease before installing. Clip the wire off the sensor and leave it in place.

Well I looked up a Dorman #13977 dust cap and im hoping that should be the right fit for the wheel side of that hub. I just got new wheels for it and would hate to keep wipin' grease off of em. Is there any grease that is preferred? I use Lucas Red n Tacky on my front suspension parts.

If you use a dust cap you may need to glue it in place so the grease doesn't get out. I went to the parts store and found a freeze plug to drive in it.

If you use a dust cap you may need to glue it in place so the grease doesn't get out. I went to the parts store and found a freeze plug to drive in it.
Yeah I would rather do a freeze plug rather than glue or silicone a dust cap on there. Would you happen to remembrr what size or diameter of the plug.? I cannot check the inside diameter of that knuckle because car is stored in another state for another week or so. Also Thanks for the advise! Very much appreciated.

why do you put grease inside of the spindle when the hub is a sealed bearing assembly?
seems like a waste of time and grease..

Well i wasnt sure if i was gonna put any grease in at all first but then i figured since its not greasable, a little grease around it wouldnt hurt. And not ever doing this before i didnt know if this may help get a little more life out of those bearings. And with putting some grease in and the hub not having a cap of some sort on the outside i was pretty sure there would be a mess.

The grease serves 2 purposes. Everyone of these that I've taken apart had the inner seal fail which causes the grease to come out. The second reason is because the extra grease helps cool the bearing.;)