Blazer dual piston spindle

undo the balljoints and tierods and take the hole thing for $250 in a junk yard. but it has to be the 2wd version, 95-00 blazer and get a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter for the ruber brake hose $3.00 at a parts store. thats all you need.

here is a pic of it installed on a grand national
98-022.jpg

you can see where the adapter is for the hose and the knucke is the same size as the gn, so no aliment issues either.

Kodak - thanks for that info, but my question is more about how the bearings hold up once you've done the conversion. I saw a post on one of the Monte boards where a guy had to replace the bearings right off the bat. That could make the swap expensive...

thats the bad part of getting stuff from the junk yard, it was there in the first place... yah the bearings are expensive from gm at about 300 ea but at a parts store it would be about 140

I've been running the 11" ZQ8 spindles on my 99 S-10 Xtreme since Aug. 2002 I bought them off Ebay from s10warehouse. I think they had 24,000 miles on them when installed my Xtreme had around 50,000 miles. I upgraded to the C5 brakes in May of 2004. I currently have 130,000 miles so that equals about 104,000 miles on these hubs. The hub on the passenger side is starting to get some play and will need replaced this summer. So unless you happen to get a damaged hub from being hit in a car wreck they sould last a long time. If you get to see the donor Blazer you can get a idea of the damaged area and stay away from spindles that might have taken a hit in the wreck.

I sell those hub assemblies by the truck load. The worst idea GM ever thought of. They're going to go out sooner or later. If it was me doing a brake upgrade I would go the "modified stock hub with the rotor cut off" route. Only because it would last a life time compared to the POS sealed hubs.

It has been determined that you CAN use the stock flex lines and when using the stock lines there is no need for the line adapter, making this setup a 100% direct bolt on

Thanks guys

For all the responses. Cost of the hub assembly is the one thing that's keeping me from doing this swap. But I drive my car less than 500 miles a year these days, so perhaps it's not that big of a deal.

turbofish38 - you're talking about the LS1 swap, right? Or is there a way to do the Blazer swap using the setup you described?

Pick up the blazer set up from your local junk yard. Collect the C5 brake parts. If/when you have a problem with the hub call Mark at SC&C and get the new AFX spindle and bolt your C5 parts to that. If you have a few extra bucks get the AFX spindle to start. It improves geometry almost as much as the G5 setup.

Brake hoses

Anybody have pictures on how you used the stock brake hoses? I ht my hoses running vertically up and they are very tight around the bleeder screw.
Thanks -Mike

Mike,
There's a member over at the Monte board by the name of Jay D that originally did his "zq8" swap in '03 who may be of help to you. The thread was in the Rolling Chassis section. I remember seeing somewhere where you can use the Blazer brake hose bracket for a better fit for the hoses. Jay also mentioned something about grinding down the stops on the LCA for caliper clearance. HTH.
Larry.

While your improving the brakes spring for a set of stainless hoses as well. Some brands are a little longer than stock (sorry can't recall which for sure. I want to say russel is a little longer though).

I have a set of russel's sitting on my workbench here, if someone wants to measure their stock lines I will measure mine to compare

I should be all set now, i used a grinder and took off a little bit from a corner. The hose now comes off at a 45 degree angle to the caliper. All good :)

Wish I could... :)

Zoliaster said:
Pick up the blazer set up from your local junk yard. Collect the C5 brake parts. If/when you have a problem with the hub call Mark at SC&C and get the new AFX spindle and bolt your C5 parts to that. If you have a few extra bucks get the AFX spindle to start. It improves geometry almost as much as the G5 setup.

Zoliaster,

SC&C's site was updated recently - there's pricing for the AFX setup, as well as a pic. Unfortunately, since I'm running stock T wheels for the foreseeable future, neither that nor the G-5 setup is for me right now. Rather than go stock -> Blazer -> AFX, I might be better off saving for the big dawg setup from the start. And new wheels. And...and...and...

Funny, I started off wanting a drag-only car, but having to fight the steering and brakes every time I drive it is getting old. I saw your setup on the Monte board, and I'd like to end up there, or very close to it. But it ain't within reach right now. :)

Of course, when you get the AFX setup and need to get rid of your Stage 2...

BTW, cool avatar!

Rhett

Dual piston sealed bearings

I just did this swap on a '96 S-10 I own. I bought the complete 2wd spindles off of Ebay and when I recieved them both hub assemblies were shot. I went in search of replacement hub assemblies and I was suprised to find out that the bearings were very expensive (about $350 from GM at that time). I could not find a replacement in the aftermarket at that time (may be available now???) so I used the 4wd hub assembly and had to machine the outer diameter down with a lathe. This was difficult but the reason I went with the 4wd version is that it was available from just about every parts house in the area with a lifetime warranty and cost only $139 each. GM only offered a 1 year warranty. My best advise is if you buy a set online, make sure they come with a guarantee that they won't show up with hammered out bearings from someone doing stunts seen on Dukes of Hazard. I must say, even with all of the unexpected problems I ran into and the extra cost of buying new bearings, it still was worth every dollar I spent to do this conversion!

Toady said:
Zoliaster,

Funny, I started off wanting a drag-only car, but having to fight the steering and brakes every time I drive it is getting old. I saw your setup on the Monte board, and I'd like to end up there, or very close to it. But it ain't within reach right now. :)

Of course, when you get the AFX setup and need to get rid of your Stage 2...

BTW, cool avatar!

Rhett

I understand what you mean. That bug bit me hard!! I never wanted drag only but after I took my car up on some local mountain roads and realized just how bad things were I couldn't help but do something. I guess I went a little overboard. :cool:

I'm afraid the AFX's are going to be on hold for a little while. I've got to get a bunch of other things done first. The Stage II upper arms will stay on with the AFX. The tall ball joints that came with the stage II will change tough I think you need the adjustable arm to make them work right.

Thanks for noticing the avatar. I was checking out a ricer board and they had an Xray similiar to mine but instead of the turbo it had VTech writtin in/on the spine. I took that idea and changed it up a bit.

Rick

94Firehawk161 said:
I went in search of replacement hub assemblies and I was suprised to find out that the bearings were very expensive (about $350 from GM at that time). I could not find a replacement in the aftermarket at that time (may be available now???)

I must say, even with all of the unexpected problems I ran into and the extra cost of buying new bearings, it still was worth every dollar I spent to do this conversion!

Your right, a good bearing solution needs to be found.

Good to hear that after all that you are still happy with the setup!!