Blazer 2wd brake setup - bearing assembly, calipers & rotors

channer

Hi All

I have a line on just the spindles from a 2002 2wd.

1/. Does anyone know if there is another vehicle in which the wheel bearing/hub assembly will fit the Blazer 2wd spindle (like 2wd S10 pickup??)
2/. Does anyone know if the 4WD Blazer calipers and rotors will fit/is compatible with 2wd Blazer spindle.

dave

Sorry Dave. It is specific to the 2wd version of the Blazer. The Extreme S-10 may have the same set up but the majority of them were on the Blazer or GMC version.

some people say the 4X4 hub is the same except for the spline in the middle.. then it's just a matter of getting a pair if $35 rotors and $50 calipers from NAPA- and when you are done you've got an extra 1/4" of brake rotor radius and cooler looking 2 piston calipers..

Thanks for the response guys.

I'll probably buy the spindle... and wait till our local UPIC yard has their $50... all you can carry... and pick up 4wd hub assembly, calipers, rotors and pads... and see if the 4WD hub will fit.

dave

If you can wait to pick up the other parts then wait and pick up everything at one time. That will save you money and time in the end.

If you can wait to pick up the other parts then wait and pick up everything at one time. That will save you money and time in the end.

The spindle is someone from Craigslist. He's only got only the spindles available for $100.

I check the UPIC yard, every month or so... and have never seen any 2wd Blazer in the yard... or else I would have stripped the front brake setup. For $50, I'll take the complete 4wd brake assembly. Hopefully it is an easy removal... I was thinking just unbolting the ball joints!!! I'll scrounge the yard for other parts that I can use or try selling... to make the most out of my $50. It used to be, the UPIC yard allowed you to carry as much as you can physically carry or strap to your body. Now it's limited to how much you can physically carry in your 2 hands, no bags, no ropes!!!!

dave

i don't think the 4X4 front brake rotors and calipers are the same as the 2wd parts. the hub may or may not be interchangeable, but you should find out if the brake parts are the same.
look them up on www.rockauto.com and see if they have the same part numbers.

i don't think the 4X4 front brake rotors and calipers are the same as the 2wd parts. the hub may or may not be interchangeable, but you should find out if the brake parts are the same.
look them up on RockAuto Auto Parts and see if they have the same part numbers.

I double checked rockauto.com website. the 2wd and 4wd front Caliper & rotors are the same!!! I don't know about the wheel hub, but as you stated... they may or may not fit... but I will find out!!!!

The hub bearings are almost the same. The difference is the splines cut in the center. The 4wd has them and the 2wd have a smooth hole with a cap on it. The cap is like the CV shaft in the 4wd and keeps the bearings from getting dirt or water in them. To use the 4wd hub assembly you'll need to plug the hole and seal it.

hub

if you use the 4wd hub. you will be picking up your wheel and tire when if falls off,{ the axel shaft holds the bearings together <the big nut}

if you use the 4wd hub. you will be picking up your wheel and tire when if falls off,{ the axel shaft holds the bearings together <the big nut}

You need to take a look at both Paul. The only difference in them is the splined center or the cap on the 2wd version. I was working at a parts store when I checked them out so I could see if there was a difference.

Man I kind of remember this happening to a guy at a shop I was workin part time in. The front diff went bad so they pulled the axles out and drove like that for about 6 months until the wheel came off on the highway and almost flipped the vehicle. Im not saying for sure but double check this carefully as it could be dangerous.

you need to take a look at both paul. The only difference in them is the splined center or the cap on the 2wd version. I was working at a parts store when i checked them out so i could see if there was a difference.
that plug you think is for dust its not on 2wd hub that plug is pressed in to hold the bearings.

that plug you think is for dust its not on 2wd hub that plug is pressed in to hold the bearings.

Well I decided to take some pics for you to show you what I was talking about. This is a 2 and 4 WD hub assembly side by side. These are after market, and as you can see they're sealed units. Both have the hole through the center, although some of the 2wd replacements I've seen have a cap on the end. Nothing is needed to hold them together because they are sealed units. The fact that a hub assembly came apart is most common because the bearings failed, not because the CV axle isn't there.:)

Attachments

• DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 227
Interesting topic here. I'm planning on doing the Blazer ZQ8 spindle swap on my GN at some point this winter.

I'm also planning on using the LS-1 F-Body rotors & calipers. I was speaking to someone at SC&C a while back and he said this setup will work together well, instead of cutting the stock G body spindle up. It was said that could possibly weaken the metal.

All I'd need is a bracket made, which isn't a problem. There is a pretty good machine shop around the corner from me.

Did the 2wd Blazer have ABS? What would I do with the harness for the sensor?

Other than that, I need to figure out if I'm sticking with the standard tubular upper arms of if I'm gonna switch to the adjustables... Decisions, decisions.

Interesting topic here. I'm planning on doing the Blazer ZQ8 spindle swap on my GN at some point this winter.

I'm also planning on using the LS-1 F-Body rotors & calipers. I was speaking to someone at SC&C a while back and he said this setup will work together well, instead of cutting the stock G body spindle up. It was said that could possibly weaken the metal.

All I'd need is a bracket made, which isn't a problem. There is a pretty good machine shop around the corner from me.

Did the 2wd Blazer have ABS? What would I do with the harness for the sensor?

Other than that, I need to figure out if I'm sticking with the standard tubular upper arms of if I'm gonna switch to the adjustables... Decisions, decisions.

zip-tie them out of the way, then cut the wires off as soon as the warranty period for the bearing is up..

ok im done with this pissing contest that smooth cone is pressed in to hold the bearing, guys DO NOT USE THE 4WD HUB.