BLACK color question?

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
I realize there are different shades of black but how does one attain that liquid black color where it looks almost wet? I have bought a donorcycle and plan on getting it painted black and would like to achieve that look. House of kolor? or something else? thanx

My car looks like its driping water .. Lots of clear coat & color sanding .. Dont let anyone buff it that hasnt done it for a long time .. Ive seen some pretty bad buff jobs for sure .. About ten hours a year to keep it that way .. I use mothers polish & liquid glass.my paint on my clone is over ten years old & looks like it was painted yesterday .. Hope this helps . ANY GOOD BASE COAT WILL DO .. NO FANCY NAMES ON MINE ..

I'm sure you've seen pictures of SPOOLFOOL2's car...pics don't do that car justice, it looks AMAZING in person and has that deep, wet black look. I believe it is not a base coat/clear coat paint system but rather a single stage urethane paint...I think thats what he told me. Maybe he'll chime in and spill the beans on his paint.:wink:

Straight black off the mixing bank (PPG 1683) is black. The factory colors are usually lighter. If you take something to the bodyshop and want it black, they will spray it straight black from the mixing bank. Single stage is said to be the blackest black, but I have seen some straight black single stage black look brown against a base/clear job.

so what do u guys think of the more expensive type paints like the ones from House of Kolor or similar companies? any idea what would be a reasonable cost for a paint job for a MC should be? I mean there is no trim to remove and obviously there is less paint to use and less surface to cover. just trying to get an idea for my winter project before I drive it into the woods at 180 mph in the spring:rolleyes:. thanx

Avoid spending the money on high dollar paint and spend extra in prep and finishing. If you want a deep black make sure your painter sands down the high spots and does a good job of clear coating it. I have noticed cars with tons of orange peel and when you put it into the hands of someone who know what they are doing (with wet sanding) you would never believe it was the same paint finish.

so what do u guys think of the more expensive type paints like the ones from House of Kolor or similar companies? any idea what would be a reasonable cost for a paint job for a MC should be? I mean there is no trim to remove and obviously there is less paint to use and less surface to cover. just trying to get an idea for my winter project before I drive it into the woods at 180 mph in the spring:rolleyes:. thanx[/QUOTE
Did you check out the house of kolor web site tcpglobal.com??? Their paint is cheaper than you think I got all the paint materials for about 350 shipped from ca to ri , 1gal triple deep black,gal of clear all hardeners a few job packs of 3m sandpaper and they even threw in mixing cups...check them out....Mike

Do they still make IMRON single stage urethane ? When it came out awhile back and thats what they told the body shops, "the wet look", hard as stone and resisted all fuels even nitromethane. My dad just retired from body & fender work a little over a year ago after starting in 1949 & he sprayed it a few times . :biggrin: Sam

My car is being painted this year, we chose sikkens viper black, the color used on the viper. I got a deal on the paint but I did some searching and have seen some really sharp looking black vipers and it looks like a great version of the color. There will be multiple coats of clear and a lot of sanding to make sure it's straight and deep.

I have a House of Kolor professional paint job on my '72 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple. 2 stage candy dark oriental blue over white base primer coat replicating the stock paint scheme for that year. Clear coated over repro decals. It's 5 pieces- tank, fender, 2 side panels, and tail section. I had to strip it and it was $650. NICE motorcycle paint jobs probably aren't as inexpensive as one may think. I would recommend that this would be the time to coat and seal the inside of the gas tank if it needs it before paint. What did you buy, BTW?

Straight black off the mixing bank (PPG 1683) is black. The factory colors are usually lighter. If you take something to the bodyshop and want it black, they will spray it straight black from the mixing bank. Single stage is said to be the blackest black, but I have seen some straight black single stage black look brown against a base/clear job.
You told the words right outta my mouth.. can get no more black then tint black.love 1683ppg when i paint any full paint gob on a GN i go with 1683ppg..
Brett if you need some info give me a call...

My car looks like its driping water .. Lots of clear coat & color sanding .. Dont let anyone buff it that hasnt done it for a long time .. Ive seen some pretty bad buff jobs for sure .. About ten hours a year to keep it that way .. I use mothers polish & liquid glass.my paint on my clone is over ten years old & looks like it was painted yesterday .. Hope this helps . ANY GOOD BASE COAT WILL DO .. NO FANCY NAMES ON MINE ..

FINALLY somebody that uses Liquid Glass besides me, been using it since about 1989.

I really dont find this comment funny....not at all

Its 2011, aren't we past this yet?

You told the words right outta my mouth.. can get no more black then tint black.love 1683ppg when i paint any full paint gob on a GN i go with 1683ppg..

What the hell do you know about painting cars :eek::eek::p

Most important is a careful, methodical, clean prep job, then PPG Tint Black, color sand, Clear Coat, super fine wet sand, Clear Coat, superfine wet sand and buff and viola!

Deep, wet looking black.

And NONE of it is easy.

Go to a pro.

X3 on the ppg 1683... it is a very very deep black.

Also, like the other guys said, keeping it freshly buffed and waxed makes any color look darker and more reflective.

Pete

great stuff guys. thats exactly what I was wondering. thanx. I bought a Busa with a few mods you could say and a few more on the way....;) Miguel I will likely just bring it to you. didnt even think of that.

great stuff guys. thats exactly what I was wondering. thanx. I bought a Busa with a few mods you could say and a few more on the way....;) Miguel I will likely just bring it to you. didnt even think of that.