Black Chrome

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Anybody heard of this color? is it for just rims? can it be used for car paint?
what kind of black did you guys pick for your car? how many layers of clearcoat did you use?

gonna get all the body work and paint done soon and was looking for some suggestions.....Anybody?

I have had parts "black chromed". It is a process done at my local chrome plating shop. When they are done, they look like a black mirror.

It is also a powdercoat Color...My buddy did some engine stuff for me with it...Definately looked like a black mirror.

chevyII said:
True black chrome is chome over black or any color of anodized parts.
-----------------------------------
No, not really. Chroming, anodize, & tiodize are all different processes for different materials, or base metals. Aluminum can be chromed, but not as well as aluminum can be anodized. Steel, stainless or otherwise can not be anodized. Anodizing is a process strictly for aluminum, and tiodizing is strictly a process for titanium, very similiar to anodizing for aluminum. Some popular cosmetic processes for steel are chrome & cadium plating/processing. And chrome can not be applied over anodize, nor can anodizing be applied over chrome that I am aware of.

chevyII said:
True black chrome is chome over black or any color of anodized parts.

Actually its chrome over phosphate. The exhaust on my 82 Suzuki GS1000SZ is done in black chrome. It never gets dull but the chrome does blue like the more common chrome over nickel finishes.

there is another proscess, i'm not very sure exactly what it is or how it works though. in high school i had a band teacher who had a black sax, he said it was some kind of a laqer finish. i really don't know much about it but man it looked cool. it was like chrome as far as its shine, but it was black. slightly off black with a hint of grey in the right light but for someone with a dark grey car, it would be great for some engine parts.

maybe someone will know more about this.