Black Air Preview at BPG Event

gbsean

BLACK AIR: THE BUICK GRAND NATIONAL DOCUMENTARY BREAKS COVER!

The first 20 minutes of filmmaker Andrew Filippone Jr.’s feature-length documentary will be screened for the first time at the Buick Performance Group’s BPG Nationals next month.

Buick’s menacing monochromatic black Grand National and GNX are many things to many people. To some, they are simply cool rides. Others see them as the answer to: What would Darth Vader drive? To rockers George Thorogood & the Destroyers, the GN was Bad to the Bone.

And to CAR and DRIVER's Tony Assenza who, after road testing a GNX, wrote: “It’s an ax-wielding barbarian laying waste to everything in its path. It rockets to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and squirts through the quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph!”

Andrew Filippone Jr. sees Buick’s uncharacteristic GN and GNX iteration black cars as more than merely modern muscle. “They’re survivors,” he says. “These cars were limited in so many ways – styling, pedigree, chassis, cubic inches – and yet they transcended all of that. In spite of all the obstacles, all of the unfortunate circumstances, they rose.” He respectfully tags the Bad Boys from Flint, “strange & curious misfits.”

Filippone has spent four years tracking down GN and GNX owners, racers and collectors, media who road tested the cars, and the key players responsible for engineering, styling and marketing at Buick & GM. He steers BLACK AIR into novel territory for a car film, exploring issues of culture, social class, inheritance, and privilege ingrained in the turbocharged V6 Buicks, and away from the usual focus on mechanics and performance. Yet, there’s no shortage of GNs and GNXs doing what they do best – smoking tires and intimidating people - in this feature-length documentary!

The first screening of an excerpt from BLACK AIR will be shown at the BPG Nationals on August 4 at National Trail Raceway in Hebron, OH. This year BPG is celebrating The Class of 1987, the last year for Grand Nationals and GM G-Body models and the only year for GNX production.

For more information about BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary, please visit
http://gnmovie.com/

Andrew Filippone Jr.’s film portfolio can be seen at http://www.steveisnothappy.com/

For more information about the BPG Nationals, August 3-4, 2012, please visit http://www.buickperformancegroup.com/
Or contact Tony Rose, 216-470-8844.

Wow that's awesome Sean great job!! How did BPG pull this off? He obviously chose BPG to give us a sneak peek instead of waiting till October.
Just another example of the BPG going above and beyond for it's members, listening to their needs, always something new and fresh every year and that's what it is all about....can't wait.

Wow that's awesome Sean great job!! How did BPG pull this off? He obviously chose BPG to give us a sneak peek instead of waiting till October.
Just another example of the BPG going above and beyond for it's members, listening to their needs, always something new and fresh every year and that's what it is all about....can't wait.

it was a combined effort of the Buick Performance Group Board of Directors,,,My self as well as Anthony Rose and Jim Chardure have been in contact with the producer Andrew Filippone Jr. for some time. We had hoped to debut the entire film at the BPG event but as last car was produced Dec 11th 1987 Andrew wanted to debut film Dec 11th 2012 25 years later...What is nice about this debut is that some of the people including Andrew Filipone Jnr..Doug Nigro as well Buick engineer and others will be at the BPG Event doing presentations on the GNX and GN's

I hope they take the time to cover who these people are that are speaking, with the exception of Richard Clark, I have no idea who any are. The original trailer was a bunch of unnamed guys saying how great the car was.

these are people that were involved with the development of the GN In "BLACK AIR: The Buick Grand National Documentary," these questions – and more – are answered by the people who built the car, who wrote about the car, and who own the car. Featured voices include Lloyd Reuss, the Buick General Manager who launched the Grand National project; Tony Assenza, the "Car and Driver" Editor who dubbed the GNX an “ax-wielding barbarian;” Richard Clark, the renowned owner, enthusiast, and collector; and many, many others.

So Sean come on and tell us how you and BPG were able to pull off this coup over other Buick fall events???

to answer your question again The BPG decided last year to hold a Class of 1987 Buick Event and as it was the 25th Anniversary of the GNX as well as the last production of the GN I reached out to Doug Nigro who runs http://www.gnxregistry.org/ and asked him if he would be interested in joining the BPG to help. He was more than happy to help. I then started e-mailng and faxing ASC/McLaren to get their help..I did this almost everyday for a a few weeks when I got an e-mail from Louis Infante who was VP at ASC and responsible for the interface between Buick and ASC and he said someone from ASC contacted him and he would be more than happy to help. I then reached out to Rick Hunt who owns GNX X-ray and worked at ASC and has provided numerous amounts of information in the GNX section. This laid the groundwork as Andrew Fillipone Jnr had already posted on FB and Twitter that he was making a documentary...Anthony Rose had reached out to him and asked if he wanted to premier his documentary at the BPG event. I had reached out to him and Jim Chardrue had done some filming with him around the Philadelphia area and as they are both Board of Directors with the BPG the seed was planted. When all the details had been finalized for the GNX GN presentation Andrew contacted me via FB and asked if we wanted to host a 20 min preview but I had to keep it quite until the press release went out. The rest is history...so bottom line is the BPG is more than just Buicks and Racing. We try to provide something for everyone...from the GSX Reunion to the Stage 1 Convention to the Turbo T-party which bought in Buick engineers and Scott Kelly from PAS with all the TTA's to this years GNX GN Class of 1987 25th Year Buick Reunion.

to answer your question again The BPG decided last year to hold a Class of 1987 Buick Event and as it was the 25th Anniversary of the GNX as well as the last production of the GN I reached out to Doug Nigro who runs http://www.gnxregistry.org/ and asked him if he would be interested in joining the BPG to help. He was more than happy to help. I then started e-mailng and faxing ASC/McLaren to get their help..I did this almost everyday for a a few weeks when I got an e-mail from Louis Infante who was VP at ASC and responsible for the interface between Buick and ASC and he said someone from ASC contacted him and he would be more than happy to help. I then reached out to Rick Hunt who owns GNX X-ray and worked at ASC and has provided numerous amounts of information in the GNX section. This laid the groundwork as Andrew Fillipone Jnr had already posted on FB and Twitter that he was making a documentary...Anthony Rose had reached out to him and asked if he wanted to premier his documentary at the BPG event. I had reached out to him and Jim Chardrue had done some filming with him around the Philadelphia area and as they are both Board of Directors with the BPG the seed was planted. When all the details had been finalized for the GNX GN presentation Andrew contacted me via FB and asked if we wanted to host a 20 min preview but I had to keep it quite until the press release went out. The rest is history...so bottom line is the BPG is more than just Buicks and Racing. We try to provide something for everyone...from the GSX Reunion to the Stage 1 Convention to the Turbo T-party which bought in Buick engineers and Scott Kelly from PAS with all the TTA's to this years GNX GN Class of 1987 25th Year Buick Reunion.

Well I for one am impressed Sean, your dedication to Buicks and BPG is beyond reproach. I have always said a car club that listens to the wants and needs of it's customer base will always bring people back and the different themes over the past few years has kept it fresh.

You do it all for BPG Sean from your tireless efforts as Chairman to self imposed PR director, you certainly have set the benchmark for which all PR directors should be measured.........Kudos to you Sean.....JCC Member and more importantly.........my friend.