billet roller ate cam pos. gear

Bingo

Bingo!!!! Jack hit it on the head!!! I had a prior eng. that showed some wear. Busted eng. so I never go around to seeing why. My current eng. with the same cam does not show any wear. Cam end play will not cause this. Did this eng. have HIGH oil pressure?

Re: Re: The stock gear lasts with an iron camshaft

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Rick, I do not know where you got your information about these gears not being compatibile?

Buick has used this removable gear for MANY years in V-6 and V-8 motors, and I have never seen this type of failure.

** The current BUICK, [even fire] cams have never had removeable gears.

Done many ATR, PTE, Weber and other billet cams in turbo motors and still never had this happen? Something is either wrong in the installation or machining of the cam? The slide-on gear for the dist./cam sensor drive is probably not iron but steel. Never seen a bronze one and would not use it if available.

** Every Weber/CC billet cam I've ever seen or used has had the bronze gear setup on the nose, as they were all oddfire blanks.

The ATR roller cam set-up has been around for many years, and all the users I know have had nothing but excellent comments about them, even with driving lots of miles.

check your block!

Another area that could cause a mis-alignment and wear problem is the block bearing surface behind the cam. If this is badly worn you can have the cam too far into the block; hence, there will be accelerated wear on the gear.:)

Originally posted by Jay J
No flames intended, but I have not heard back from ATR.
Jay J

I wouldn't be holding my breath for that call.... It will never come. Same thing happened to my dad's car.

Steve

Oil Pump

We run the stock oil pump with the right clearence. Never encountered a problem. I am glad we did not use the high volume or extended pump shafts. But we did port the stock GM front cover housing and oil pump.

Unfortunately, you have lost your engine. The oil cooler has to be changed, your turbo should be sent out to be gone thru. I Guarantee you all those particles went straight to the oil pump, straight to the crank and straight to the cam bearings. I can tell you your oil pressure will go downhill until its fixed. Isn't it great, a slight mistake in backyard engineering (aftermarket), and you & I get to rebuild our rebuild. I don't know, but maybe someone knows someone who puts together a good quality roller kit, the one you have (and me) isn't. Oh yeah, your valve guides probably got good and worn out from all the metal in the oil also. I've been there.

Billet roller ate cam position sensor

OK guys, it seems there's a lot of interest in this one (and thanks for that!) Rather than just dropping and flushing the pan, I will be pulling the engine this week. I will follow up with part 2 of this sad story. Just for informational purposes, I am running the deep gear/high volume oil pump (also use the same setup on my GN, with Zero problems (15psi hot idle, 55psi cruise) but that car does not have a roller cam. The front surface of the block was pristine when the ATR was installed, and the cps did not seem "tight" when it went in. More to follow...
Jay J

gear wear

I have heard of similar problems with small block fords, usually repaired by using the proper distributor driven gear. I hate these cars, but the engineering is, unfortunately ,similar. What do you think?