Biggest rear tire

gnx139

Any one know what is the biggest size tire that will fit on our rims for the back. Will a 275/50 or 45 fit? The 255's look so puny compared to the new cars/wheels of today.

I run aftermarket rims with 335's. A stock Regal body without the GNX flare will hole a 295 wide tire with proper rim offset.

I would say yes. A 275 is only 1 finger width more each side. It's the largest tire I would put on an 8" wide rim so you will have a bit more sideway showing. Alternatively you can order replica rims that are 16x10 with an additional 25mm of positive offset and put on a larger tire 295 tire. Just my observation.

Mike,

The bigest problem with the 275 is that no one makes them as far as I know :( Maybe you can find a drag radial in a 275 but the will wear out quick. The bigest problem with the 16" rim is no one makes a nice size tire for them but Check and see if BFG or anyone else still sells a 265/50/16 witch will probabely be your best bet unless you get some custom 10" rims and run a 295 or bigger.

245/50R16 - 25.7" dia
295/50R16 - 27.6" dia

Without getting into a sweet custom 17"/18" custom setup, you are stuck with only a couple of different tire sizes. Diameter will be your biggest challenge and require compensations with your speedometer tuning.

Thanks Dennis, I was talking about this with your bro tonight at the car show. I might be stuck with the 255's for the rear. I'll look for the 265's also.

The choices for even the stock GNX tire sizes really suck. According to tirerack.com, only a few make even a 255/50/16, and those that do don't make a 245. I don't want 2 different make tires. That is stupid. Why are 16" rims so difficult to fit? I can't find bigger than 255, I'd like lower profile than 50, but that can't be found either.

Went tire shoppin' today. Only found a couple of tires that have a 245 and a 255 for the 16" GNX wheel. Anyone familiar with Falcon? They have a killer tread pattern. How about BFG g-force sport. Has a weak looking tread pattern. Let me know what other gnx owners are using.

Bigglezworth said:
I run aftermarket rims with 335's. A stock Regal body without the GNX flare will hole a 295 wide tire with proper rim offset.
335???? Damn.... I want to see a pic of that!!! :eek:

GNX tires 315 40 16

I saw a guy at the Bristol event in '97 that had 315 40 16s on his factory GNX wheels. Michelin made them and they are not cheap. Around $300 a tire. I think I took a pic of them.