Big oil pressure problem anyone?

blackgn231

Money pit
I know this is dumb to say but when ,I rebuilt my motor, I never did check the bearing cleanness the machine shop said the crank looked good so ,I put standard bearings back in but now I have read the Buick cranks were some time ground at the factory, so now low oil pressure had run about 40 at 60 mph but now it only goes to 30 and some time 20 at 60 but no knocks or lifter tap, I have a VDO gage and did replace it after the motor was put back in but did not replace the sending unit did rewire all the gages so not sure if that’s the problem ,what do you guys think? I was thinking about dropping the pad and putting some new bearings in but that may be harder than it sounds pulling the motor may be my only hope any help you guys could give would be great hate to pull it but if that’s what needs to happen then it does so anyone?:confused:

just for grins try a thicker oil and see if you get better oil pressure. sounds like you may be putting some bearings in.

Is the factory idiot light working? If its hooked up and it does not come on at a hot idle then I think it maybe the gauge. But If its not hooked up then I would remove the sender for the gauge and hook up a test gauge. That will tell you correct pressure readings. It maybe a pain in the a$$ but with not taking out the crank, rods and cam.

I know this is dumb to say but when ,I rebuilt my motor, I never did check the bearing cleanness the machine shop said the crank looked good so ,I put standard bearings back in but now I have read the Buick cranks were some time ground at the factory, so now low oil pressure had run about 40 at 60 mph but now it only goes to 30 and some time 20 at 60 but no knocks or lifter tap, I have a VDO gage and did replace it after the motor was put back in but did not replace the sending unit did rewire all the gages so not sure if that’s the problem ,what do you guys think? I was thinking about dropping the pad and putting some new bearings in but that may be harder than it sounds pulling the motor may be my only hope any help you guys could give would be great hate to pull it but if that’s what needs to happen then it does so anyone?:confused:

i have taken dozens of these motors apart that have not been modified--------while there may be cases of "ground cranks from the factory" i have never seen any evidence of it--------i can say that i have removed bearings marked +1 from ONE SIDE of a main journal PAIR that i am sure had never had the pan off since new. This is obviously how the factory dealt with a crank that needed a marginal increase in bearing thickness of +1/2 thou----------i personally doubt the factory would ever install a crank that would have been out of spec any more than that------------i would think that you could easily remove the pan and plastigauge the main/rod bearings with the engine in the car--------i have done it several times----------it would tell you just what kind of clearances you have...............................RC

Oil problems

I do have 20-50 iol in it and have put a oil booster plate on but no diffence never have replaced the sending unit has anyone ever had a problem with them? It was doing ok but in the last yr its dropped down can bearing be put in with the pan down?And how hard would it be? Thanks guys I hate pulling my motor but at my end on this.:confused:

It may also be a loose/leaky oil gallery plug behind the timing chain. The cam bearings may be bad. Rod/main bearing clearance issues. NEVER trust what a machinist tells you is good. Verify EVERYTHING..........EVERY time. Even the most engineered, most expensive thing ever developed by man blew up on the launch pad. :p :eek: Every part that goes into an engine needs to be carefully checked.

oil problems

ok heres what has happened since my rebuild 5 yrs ago,never had great oil pressure but was ok at the time the motor had great oil pressure before the rebuild but lots of miles so thats why I overhauled it,std bearings were used crank was good just polished ,so in the last yr its been going down, good at idle 10 pds, but anywere from 20 -35 running hot I have a heavier spring in it ,booster plate and 20-50 oil still low so figured maybe the bearings are wrong ,when you turn on the AC its drops down ,or when it gets hot above 200 , could the oil cooler be clogged causing this? Have heard of people not even running a cooler.Don't really think its a bad gage it reads high when cold and only time I see anything is some times it will jump up in pressure, and not sure about what a lose pickup will cause.All, I know is the cam and mains can cause low pressure and if it had good pressure before then the cover should be good,would using gasket sealer between the booster plate cause any of this? I love my car but hate having this problem there are so many things you can do but nothing to nnarrow any of it down. did install a new oil pump from postons .so thats about it.

oil problem one more thing I forgot

when your in drive its ok and when you get into it will climb right up to 50-60 so would this be saying the pumps working ok, can to much of a spring be bad ?