BGC 23 Row IC Mounting ?'s...just look, don't laugh

Kid with a toy

Shaven Member
I've had my BGC 23 row IC on the car for some time now (purchased used), with great results. 3 extra pounds of boost just by replacing the stocker, stock location, blah blah blah...

The problem I'm having is the mount on the passenger side. The driver side used the stock mount. No problems as of yet. But what about the passenger side? Did it come with a mounting bracket, other than stock? I had to shave and cut the stocker to make it work, but it keeps "slipping" the IC down a bit. So I keep tightening it...and it keeps loosening itself...and the vicious circle continues.

I've tried to contact Bowling Green, but, with minimal success.

My question is: Was there a mounting bracket that came with the IC new?

All ideas on "building a better mouse trap" would be greatly considered.

Kid with a PITA toy :rolleyes:

Erik Frederiksen

I have a BGC 23 row IC, and the directions showed to cut the factory bracket around the Intercooler. I thought that was "cheesy", but I have had no problems with mine. hope that helps!:)

I have a stretch on mine, only 15 stock rows, but I had to mod the stock bracket too. Only thing I can think of for you is to get it where you want it and spraypaint the bolthead while installed, getting some overspray onto the bracket itself so you know where the bolt head needs to be. Then let dry and remove. Take to a welding shop and have a couple of washers tacked over the bracket holes so the bolt only has one exact sized hole to go through. After that, it should stay put.

Basically you have to cut the bottom piece off the stock mounting bracket. Once this bottom piece is cut off (you can use a hacksaw) the stock side bolts are used.

Aha!!! This is an area I've definitely had a problem with in the past, but came up with a solution. The BGC 23 row, (now known as Southern Kustoms), is VERY heavy, and strains the heck out of the stock brackets. The passenger side does have to be modified if you plan to use it, but, I added an additional brace to actually carry the weight load.
I had an aluminum block welded to each side of the intercooler, where the stock bolt bungs were. We then measured, drilled and tapped the new blocks with larger bolt holes to accomodate 7/16" header style bolts, (but you could use whatever size desired).
We took a 15"x1"x1/8" piece of metal, and drilled a bolt hole on each end, to use as the additional brace for the passenger side. We continued to use the stock driver's side bracket, since it is sturdy.
We attached the new passenger side brace to the top bolt hole on the passenger side, running it at a diagonal angle up to one of the allen head bolts that attaches my THDP to the turbo. This now uses the turbo/downpipe bolt to support all the additional weight, and the cutout stock passenger bracket to just help position the thing and keep it aligned.

It works great, and looks just fine too. The BGC23 row no longer sagged or stripped the stock brackets/bolts again. I highly recommend it, if you've got a few hours, and some simple, home-fabrication capabilities. Sorry, I don't have pics to show.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been working 7/12's...only time to eat, poop, and sleep.

I've cut out the stock passenger side to fit, but that damn thing keeps slipping out at the block. Why it's not slipping out at the IC, I don't know. But I'll take half-ass luck vs. none at all.

JToups386,
You're saying to hang a chunk of stock to the allen head on the turbo and downpipe connection point? I would ASSume that you used a slightly longer bolt? Has there been any ill affects from that arrangement? No problem with the weight of that heavy ass IC?

I had thought of that as a point of termination, but was nervous to try it. I had this vision of my IC, DP, turbo, and header all falling to the road as I tried to set a new land speed record.

Thanks for the input,
Erik

Originally posted by Kid with a toy
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been working 7/12's...only time to eat, poop, and sleep.

I've cut out the stock passenger side to fit, but that damn thing keeps slipping out at the block. Why it's not slipping out at the IC, I don't know. But I'll take half-ass luck vs. none at all.

JToups386,
You're saying to hang a chunk of stock to the allen head on the turbo and downpipe connection point? I would ASSume that you used a slightly longer bolt? Has there been any ill affects from that arrangement? No problem with the weight of that heavy ass IC?

I had thought of that as a point of termination, but was nervous to try it. I had this vision of my IC, DP, turbo, and header all falling to the road as I tried to set a new land speed record.

Thanks for the input,
Erik

Dude where do you work??

M. Harris Consulting...I work in the datacomm division.

We've been taking advantage of a shut down going on at DuPont here in Beaumont, Texas. The work is more than steady, and we were trying to get ahead of the tropical storm in the Gulf. It was a real blast being 55 feet up in a bucket truck with 45+ MPH winds whizzing by.:D And the 7/12's turned into more like 7/14's. Next week should be back to normal...we hope. It all depends upon the weather.

BGC

BGC:( SUCKS if they are now known as Southern Kustoms im sure they have the same problems, save your money and deal with someone else, your wallet will be better off:D

Originally posted by Kid with a toy

JToups386,
Thanks for the input,
Erik

Erik:
If memory serves, I did go to Sears Hardware and buy a little longer allen bolt for the long bracket arm we made. However, I don't remember how long it was. I think I actually had to grind it down a little, as the sizes ranged from either "too short" or "too long", and I had to fabricate a "just right". I can't remember for sure, but, I'll be doing this again for the friend I sold the BGC setup to, and will have to figure out what bolt I used.
As for the fabricated bracket, you could use virtually anything with the dimensions I gave you. We just took a piece off of a locker door lever mechanism, that was in my friend's garage. It was a total improv project, but, the results were good. I'm sure you could find many usable items to make a similar one, at Home Depot, Sears Hardware, Lowe's, etc.
I had another friend from a machine shop weld the thicker aluminum blocks to the IC side bosses, where the bolts go. It allowed us to use longer bolts, with larger diameter, and therefore gave a much more sturdy hold. I never had another problem with it.
The weight of the intercooler is supported by the turbo assembly, even from the factory setup, as that stock factory passenger side IC bracket offers little support, other than keeping it aligned.
Go out and look at your setup with a copy of this, and it will all make sense I think.
I sold my BGC setup to a friend, in order to fund my purchase of a used CAS V2 Frontmount. Otherwise, I would still be using it, and I was perfectly happy with its performance and design, once we fabbed these bracket supports.
Let me know if you want any more detail or info.
Hope this helps you.

Had the same problem. Got another "Stock" bracket and did a "Neat" job of cutting and grinding, then painting to look like a "Factory job"

Just do it.....no ones going to see it anyway, and as long as you have the orig. piece, no biggee

Tom

87 We-4

My V4 also sags down on the passenger side.
'm working up a piece of 1/2" emt & plan on hanging it from one of the heatshield bolts on the turbo.

I think I'm going to go with the custom brace idea. The weather here in Beaumont is starting to turn foul, so I think there will be more time in my schedule to start. Thanks guys. And keep the ideas pouring in.

I too have had great luck with the BGC IC. No complaints so far. Just a little saggy in the corner.

Erik