BFG "All-Terrain T/A" truck tires -- Noisy ??

tom h

I've been using Michelin LTX M/S tires on my full size, 4WD chevy K-blazer for some time, and it is a very nice tire. Even wearing , long life tread, good wet & snow traction, decently quite ride. Because I prefer to use "LT" instead of P-series tires, I do get some harshness, which is tolerable.

Mainly because of wider size selection, I am thinking of switching to BFG "All-Terrain T/A".
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/allterraintako.jsp

But I am concerned about the more aggresive tread pattern, even though these tires seem to be very popular.

Tire "whine" is something I could NOT live with... been there, done that with 2 sets of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, which I thought was a poor tire, even though it comes standard on many trucks/SUVs.

Any of you using the TA's ?? Do they wear evenly? How is road noise, compared to an all-season highway tread?

as the michlien you have on the truck are prolly the quietist tire you will find in an LT series, the BFG they are loud. the 5 row design is meant to break up the sound pattern or somethign but they are loud i have had many sets of BFGs, perrilies (sp) and many others they are all loud. that and you add the fact that the compound is harder from a P to an LT tire just makes for lots of road noise.

the closer the lugs are the less noise you will have. but you will give up the tires ability to clean it selfs and off road traction. i would stick with the michlien. we had a set rot off before they wore out.

if you want really loud may i suggest a set of cepek tires!

on a side note BFG and Michlien are the same company they use the same rubber compounds on each tire. if you see the KO that means its made by a FROG!

viva la france!

Dathan

My last set of BFG All Terrains were somewhat to fairly noise. But I loved the performance in snow and off road capability. Never had too many problems with them. However, I have heard that they are hard to balance. I'm not sure if that's true, if I just hit one too many rocks. :)

Mud Terrains are even worse. You'll drown out the 18 wheelers. :)

Frogs?? My last set had KO. Hrmm... Ribbit.

i know the larger the tire the harder they become to balance.

all i know is no one has 33x12.50/16.5s any more they are harder and harder to get :(

This is my own opinion and a few others that I have wheeled with.

BFG's S&ck they are very loud, traction isn't that good, and they have the weakest sidewalls of any tire out there (although I have heard they have beefed them up a little).
I have actually seen them get punctured by a peice of rust from another truck, A paper thin peice of rust I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it first hand.

I have owed one set of BFG AT's and hated them. I now buy Dunlop Mud Rovers they are awsome and they are quieter than the BFG's were. Consumer Reporst rated them #1 a few years ago (the radial rovers that is) and thats when I bought mine and have never looked back.

Again personal opinon

PS My Mud Rovers are not near as loud as the BFG's were

hmm, I'm leaning toward remaining with the "LT" (not "P") version of michelin LTX-M/S. I don't offroad, but in the "urban jungle" they have been very resistant to road hazard damage (sidewalls hold up well, no scary tread separations, etc). And when I do go in snow, they've never let me down.

But, I "may" consider going from the LT265/75-16C I have now, to a so-called "flotation" style 15-inch in same LTX-M/S tire line (since I need new wheels anyway, the clearcoat on my old wheels is shot.)
Eg, 32x11.50R15C.

These "flotation" tires seem to offer wider tread for the same overall diameter.

Are there any hidden "gotchas" or "things I wish I'd known before I bought them", with flotation tires??

I have 'em on a OJ simpson bronco, and they're noisier than the oem goodyear's. Doesn't really bother me, but then again the loud GN doesn't bother me either. They seem to have a stiffer sidewall, so they seem to have less body roll. But I don't think the traction on normal paved roads is as good...

I'm on my third set of BFG Mud terrains 12.50x35x15 Got at least 70,000 miles out of each set. I don't consider them very noisy. My G/F has BFG all terrains on her blazer and she loves em, good in the rain and snow. It's what you consider noisy, all tires make some kind of noise. Gateway monster mudders are NOISY, got them on my 80 Chevy 44s with 16 inches of lift, thats NOISY.
Tarey D.

I have a set of 265/75 16's on my F-150. I bought a set of AllTerrain T/A's to replace a set of Michelin LTX's, and am very happy with them. IMHO they are not any louder than the Michelins were. When these wear out (if I still have this truck) I WILL buy another set of the BFG's

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
I have a set of 265/75 16's on my F-150. I bought a set of AllTerrain T/A's to replace a set of Michelin LTX's, and am very happy with them. IMHO they are not any louder than the Michelins were.
About how many miles do you have on the BFG's ?

Reason I ask is, The despised Goodyear Wrangler RT/S I had many years ago, were fine until about 15K miles. Then the tread blocks would start "feathering" & wearing unevenly in the front-to-back direction , and then the tire whining would start. Went thru 2 set$ of Goodyears before I wised up.

ROTATE your tires every 3 to 5 thousand miles and you won't get that feathering.
Tarey D.

I have to agree, the Michelins are good tires.
I just replaced my set on the AWD, the rubber was pretty much dry-rotted and they wouldnt hold air very well anymore. I still had quite a bit of tread left.
I was looking into a more aggressive tread tire, but I couldnt live with the noise, especially the highway drive to work everyday.

If you like the LTX, stay with them. You seem to be pretty happy with the results you've had, it just sounds like you want someone to come in and talk you out of them. :D

Originally posted by GN ERGY
ROTATE your tires every 3 to 5 thousand miles and you won't get that feathering.
Tarey D.
Still happened on the Goodyear Wranglers!

With the Michelin LTX MS, I can rotate at a more reasonable 7K-10K miles and they still wear evenly.

Originally posted by SilverSleeper
I have to agree, the Michelins are good tires. ... If you like the LTX, stay with them. You seem to be pretty happy with the results you've had, it just sounds like you want someone to come in and talk you out of them. :D
I couldn't get as tall/wide a tire as I'd like on the Michelin LTX, maybe it's best to stick with a "known". As expensive as these truck tires are, I may just play it safe.

I happen to like pepboys futura dakota tires

they have nearly Identical tread to the bfg all terrain

I run 33/12.50 15's on my k10 truck and they are not noisey at all for a tire of that size

pep boys has them in 16.5" too if you have a 8 lug truck

they set me back $92 a piece plus $8 a piece for road hazzard

I been out playing in the snow and mud with them and I am surprized at how good they are for an all terrain

I just put a brand new set of BFG A/T on my '02 F150. They are great in snow and barely make more noise than the Goodyears it came with from the factory. 265/70 R17
I had a set on my '92 F150 and ran then until nearly smooth-took over 100,000 miles (I had 249,000 on the truck when I traded it in). The first set also was run for 100,000.
I'll never run another tire. I don't consider them noisy.

Originally posted by tom h
About how many miles do you have on the BFG's ?

Reason I ask is, The despised Goodyear Wrangler RT/S I had many years ago, were fine until about 15K miles. Then the tread blocks would start "feathering" & wearing unevenly in the front-to-back direction , and then the tire whining would start. Went thru 2 set$ of Goodyears before I wised up.

I have around 12,000 miles on the BFG's, but I do keep them rotated at every other oil change, and as of yet no excessive noise. I almost had bought another set of Michelins and my buddy at the tire store told me most people that bought the BFG's wouldn't go back. HTH:)

ive had bfg all terrains on my zr2 blazer and my zr2 pickup (stock tire). i put 42,000 on the blazer and the tires looked good, probably had another 25 - 30K left in them. i've got 32,000 on the pickup now and have never even rotated them. they are wearing evenly and still look really good (especially considering how i drive this thing). i will, without a doubt, replace these tires with the same things when they're shot. they are NOT loud, the mud terrains are the noisey ones. just my .02

aaron

I had a set of those BFG's on a truck I used to have. I loved them, but don't mistake them for a mud tire. They load up easily. Other than that, I like them. They weren't very loud and I had 40k miles on them when I traded the truck in, with a lot of miles left in them.

Red mentioned the Pep Boys brand. Others in my 4 wheeling group have tried them and liked them a lot. They may be made by Cooper, which their MT's are made by, but I don't know. Another make I've heard is a lot better than the BFG is the Geolander AT. They don't look as aggressive, but they supposedly do a better job without much noise at all.

If you consider an MT, look for the Uniroyal Laredo MT. Much better offroad (esp mud) than the Buckshot mudders I had and with about half the road noise. Very little noise for an MT. You can get them through Sams Club for about $115/ea, probably a lot less than the BFH AT you're looking at. The Pep Boys MT is really good to, a rebadged Cooper MT.