Jonson Lifters Install info

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
I've been using 3/4 turn to achieve the targeted .040" preload. Considering the expansion (aluminum & iron) perhaps another 1/4 turn is warranted? Or a 1/4 turn less (akin to lash on a solid setup)? Either way I'll probably keep it where it's at, but curious.
Johnson reduced travel lifters.

Last edited:
I keep trying the Johnson web site to buy reduced travel hydraulic rollers, but it just says
'coming soon". I wonder when they will be available? Whoops, I just realized that the OP posted that in 2018.

I keep trying the Johnson web site to buy reduced travel hydraulic rollers, but it just says
'coming soon". I wonder when they will be available? Whoops, I just realized that the OP posted that in 2018.
BISON stocks the Johnson Lifters.....if you need some contact him.

hth-aaron

Already PM'd Bison, no answer. Also tried Dave Husek. He wanted to but my Comp 885's. Looks like not available anywhere. I thought about Morels, but too many negative comments on them.

Bison had at least 20 sets of Johnson lifters on June 1st.... posted a pic and pricing on his fbook business page. link below. he always answers the phone, just call him...

Bison's Performance

Already PM'd Bison, no answer. Also tried Dave Husek. He wanted to but my Comp 885's. Looks like not available anywhere. I thought about Morels, but too many negative comments on them.
Contact him on fB... i hate fB but he will answer his msgs... i just got a set from him not too long ago

Hy-lift Johnson is another option.

Short travel lifters huh? Preloaded as per Johnson's spec. On my dyno, standard lifters up a turn from the bottom and short travels returned same HP#s within accuracy repeatability of the dyno.
Ya already have the lifters in the motor, why not try it? Try different preloads and see what u like with your combo.
It was Crane's fault that I found this all out back in 1986, with them selling their first hydraulic roller cams with too much spring pressure in their "matched set" kit.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get the results you wanted!
This is a good excuse to buy those adjustable roller rockers you have been thinking about!
If you didnt find any gains from thinner oil, its because the lifter are bleeding down more. Do the lifters, then try the oil.
TIMINATOR

Good info from everyone. I'll try Bison when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. My roller cam is on order from Comp. They said they get Austemper cores in intermittently.

When I ordered my custom Comp roller in MARCH 2020, I was told 3 to 5 weeks, here it is JULY 18TH 2022, and I STILL DON'T HAVE IT!!!!!!
About 5 months ago, I SCOURED the COUNTRY for a Comp. Buick cam, and after about 3 WEEKS of calling every Comp dealer listed, I scored a smaller (mid size catalogued) one in Nebraska, for only about $70.00 over retail, and $50.00 ground shipping.
This hurt my sensabities, since we are direct dealers, and Comp was 2nd day shipping at that time for $17.00.
If I get my custom cam before I do the final assy, the midsized Comp is for sale, if not, the custom will be for sale. Considering what we paid for the last Comp SBFord hydraulic roller about 2 weeks ago, (around $420.00+ shipping), I wonder what the new cost will be on the Buick cam....
Assuming I ever get it of course.....
Last I heard from them, they were about 67 V-6 Buick cams behind, and were recieving about a dozen in a batch, approximatly every 2 months.
Comp, and Bullet makes the most precision, and fastest ramp rate cams that I have tested on my cam machine,(so they typically make more torque and HP than the lesser grinders) but any cam you get, makes more HP than one you don't have...
TIMINATOR
not what you wanted to hear, but what you need to know....☹

You may remember that back when we had the last cam core "shortage" in about 1990, Crane bought a core company, had plenty of cores for their own cams, and sold the rest to other aftermarket companies, then the board of corporate folks ousted him from the helm of the company he founded, AND made GREAT, and the bean counters sold the core company. Smooth move!
TIMINATOR
Here we are in 2022 and nobody has learned from their mistakes, just look around!

When I ordered my custom Comp roller in MARCH 2020, I was told 3 to 5 weeks, here it is JULY 18TH 2022, and I STILL DON'T HAVE IT!!!!!!
About 5 months ago, I SCOURED the COUNTRY for a Comp. Buick cam, and after about 3 WEEKS of calling every Comp dealer listed, I scored a smaller (mid size catalogued) one in Nebraska, for only about $70.00 over retail, and $50.00 ground shipping.
This hurt my sensabities, since we are direct dealers, and Comp was 2nd day shipping at that time for $17.00.
If I get my custom cam before I do the final assy, the midsized Comp is for sale, if not, the custom will be for sale. Considering what we paid for the last Comp SBFord hydraulic roller about 2 weeks ago, (around $420.00+ shipping), I wonder what the new cost will be on the Buick cam....
Assuming I ever get it of course.....
Last I heard from them, they were about 67 V-6 Buick cams behind, and were recieving about a dozen in a batch, approximatly every 2 months.
Comp, and Bullet makes the most precision, and fastest ramp rate cams that I have tested on my cam machine,(so they typically make more torque and HP than the lesser grinders) but any cam you get, makes more HP than one you don't have...
TIMINATOR
not what you wanted to hear, but what you need to know....☹
Yup
Typical bullshit with parts now
We are still waiting for a crankshaft from last year🤯
Still has not come in🙄
Stuff is top dollar now and even when you have the money and are willing to part with it you cant get it😡