best way to clean intercooler after turbo goes bye bye?

Turbo PeppeR

what is the best way to clean intercooler,I want to make sure I dont run any metal through new turbo.Any thing else before firing motor (besides an oil change)

Metal from the intercooler will go into the motor not the turbo.

To clean the intercooler, remove it from car. I use hot water & dawn dish detergent. Cover the ends and shake back & forth.
Empty and repeat till clean.

Gary

I got some carb-injector cleaner, and ran a few DOZEN bottles through my intercooler. (well, not that many, but a lot). Don't sweat your turbo, but you definitely don't want metal chunks going through your intake :eek: I would use a few things of carb cleaner, just to clean out any road gunk that could've run through. Swish it around until it comes out clean, then turn the hose on the IC. I've heard of people putting a strong vacuum cleaner on reverse to blow out anything, that could work too. That's as good a method as I can think of. Good luck!

In the past I've taken mine off periodically, just to clean out the oil residue that builds up in them over time. I've used various cleaners, but have found the best results from a bottle of Castrol Super-Clean. (The purple stuff). It gets all of the oil residue out, and virtually anything else that might have decided to adhere itself inside.
Fill it half way with water, add half a bottle of the Super-Clean, and then fill the rest of the way, until it's visible in the inlet/outlet on both sides. Let sit for a few minutes after agitating it. Then stick high pressure water hose nozzle in the neck that the turbo outlet matches, and run the water through for a couple of minutes. Then repeat the whole process. Turn upside down and let drain and dry outside for awhile.
If you have access to compressed air, I would stick the air nozzle in the same neck opening, holding a rag over the additional space to give a semi-seal. Then run compressed air through for a minute or two, which will help dry it as well as get any remaining metal frags out. It's all worked like a charm for me in the past...

Super clean might be a little too harsh, its leaves a sticky/oily residue. The only thing to really clean out a IC is the oil left from the turbo.

I've never run into the sticky residue problem, or any other negative side effects from using the Super Clean. I agree, it's a harsh chemical, and you don't want to leave it on your hands for any length of time,,, but it has always worked well for me. Just FYI...