Best value Cam, pistons, rods for street

DR. EVIL

THE DARKSIDE
Its time to put a new cam, pistons and rods in my daily driver and I want to know your views on brands and value and what you paid.

What cam for a daily driver but still has some balls to it?
Forged pistons and rods stock compression

the motor will be slightly bored out to clean up the cylinder walls of imperfections. It will be balanced as well.

I will be running ~26psi daily with propane so I need some strength but don't want to go insane spending money if I don't have to.

Ideas? This is with stock heads for now, those will have to wait.
see sig for current set up

a reliable GN engine builder has told me theres about 10 hp difference b/w any 2 cams. ive always heard people speak highly of the 206-206 streetability and idle. also the 204-214 is good i read. pistons, idk, anything forged if your going for like low 11s or 10s they say. stock rods are fine.

I know I'm doing arp main studs and forged pistons.

Rods are the main issue right now, don't know what to go with that isn't insane expensive. needs to hold up to 26psi with the propane though.

who sells the two cams you mentioned?

Why do you need rods?

Stock rods are pretty tough, they will go into the 10s easily.

turbo cars are pretty easy on rods.

after some searching I think a 206/206 comp cam might do me fine, and some clean stock rods but still not sure about the pistons yet.

JE are very nice but very $$$$$
Any other ideas on pistons?

have complete rebuild, prolly going to bore 10 or 20 over just to clean up. new valves, cleaned up stock heads (one has a crack so I need to look for one stock head now :mad: anyone sellin?)

My recommendations...

J/E pistons... .020 off the shelf.. According to my engine builder there is no other piston he would use :)
Take a TRW and a J/E and feel the weight difference.. WOW
For an extra 100 bucks why not use J/E ~ $539 to my door if I recall (floating pins included)..

Moly plasma rings.. Seat instantly!

ATR 309G Roller cam... Do it once and never look back ;)

Stock Rods... shot peened and checked for roundness.

Stock crank 10/10 or 20/20..

Balance rotating assembly

Center steel mains

Mild port to stock heads with matching intake.. Manley valves with bronze guides and 3 angle valve job.

Hard combo to beat with great street manners..

HTH

Mike Banas
87GN