Best tires for orlando weather?

deadlois

Just moved back here after being in Hawaii and elsewhere for some years and I forgot how bad it rains. I need some performance tires, but I need a suggestion for something that is somewhat safe in this weather without risking spinouts all over the place. I do not want to compromise too much performace though.

take it from me DO NOT BUY MICKEY THOMPSON E.T.STREETS THEY ARE HORRIBLE in the rain, it made me lose control of my gn :mad:

This is a great idea for a thread. I am very interested to hear what the FLA crew likes for street rubber. The flash storms/rains we have hear can get you killed, what is a good compromise of dry traction and wet weather (reasonable) safety?

DO NOT WASTE money or fenders on Toyo Proxes. On a damp road, I spun completely around twice.

I currently run Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Radial. These tires hold in the wet about as good as any street radial I've tried. With my basically stock TR they do not break loose on dry road when I mash the throttle from an idle. They DO NOT last very long, I get about 5k miles driving conservately. They also got me a horrible 60' time.

I have heard good about the MT drag radial, however, I have no first hand experience with them.

I am wanting feedback on the Goodyear as come on the 07 Vettes & the other Goodyear as come on the Z06 Vette????

NO drag radial should be used in the rain ..Period. We learned that lesson many many years ago with a local members T Type.

i had to find out the hard way :( , i think i am going to look into what roger said, the vette's do bring nice tires.

NO drag radial should be used in the rain ..Period. We learned that lesson many many years ago with a local members T Type.

OK, so..what to run? Assuming I don't have a seperate set ot wheels for drag radials/street tires, if you have to find a nice middle of the road that wil get decent traction and not get you kiled, what is there?

I was curious about the Nittos, thought I would give them a try. But I'd rather take the good advise of someone that's already been there, done that.

If you're looking at a street tire... I've allways had good luck with Yokohama's.... I had a set of AVID's on my GS, as long as I wasn't crazy they'd do well.

That thing was a monster with 12:1 and 4.10 gears on wet pavement:D :D I feared no rainstorm... the slow wipers were more of a hazard than the tires were.

Same drive train in an old 84 Cutlass... with BFG radials, and Goodyear (for get the type) did good too... and I didn't have any rear brakes (blocked off). It seemed that "slight" rain was way worse than pooring rain:confused: Just had to keep alert.

The Turbo has AVID's on as well.... have only drivin it a few times, but it feels much milder than the GS, low boost... 20psi is darn close to the GS (but who does 20psi in the rain), and they seem to hold good.

I use Dunlop GT Qualifiers as my daily tires. They have decent traction, last a long time and handle well wet or dry.

I think that I heard that the reason slight rain is a bit more dangerous than pouring rain is because, the slight rain raises the oil to the surface of the road, whereas the pouring rain will pick up that oil and displace it...typically into the drain, drainage, gutter, whatnot...
Some one tell me if I was misinformed...

I think that I heard that the reason slight rain is a bit more dangerous than pouring rain is because, the slight rain raises the oil to the surface of the road, whereas the pouring rain will pick up that oil and displace it...typically into the drain, drainage, gutter, whatnot...
Some one tell me if I was misinformed...

You are correct, intersections being the worst.

I have pretty good luck with Goodyear's in the rain. Eagle GT HR's on 1 car & 225/60/VR15 Gatorbacks on another.

Wow a lot of options! So I guess the Goodyears for all around or maybe the Nittos if I am going for more performance oriented? Any idea about Kumhos? I thought I seen a review in a magazine about them that was pretty good.

All I can say is this.... of all the RWD cars I've ever owned.... I've never been able to make the rear set last as long as the front:confused: :confused: No matter what Tire size... brand... rating... etc. The rears never last that long.... I think the aA & G body cars have missplaced rears:p

Seriously.... Kuhmo's were "Decent" tires back when I was in the industry.... Can't say how they're now, but I thought they were chinsy back then.... seen alot come back with seperated sidewalls(like the Kelly tires).

I've had the Nitto DR on my GN for several years, but I don't drive it daily. They last longer than the BFG DRs and have much better traction in the rain. I've ran my gn at 70 mph on the interstate in a pretty good rain and didn't feel any loosness. The tread pattern on them is almost exactly like an aquatread tire. I couldn't keep the BFG TAs from spinning at anything under 45mph on dry pavement when pushing the go peddle down all the way. The Nitto DRs 275 50s scream for mercy on dry pavement, but don't go up in smoke. I never was able to get a really good 60' at the track, but on the street it was much safer on dry pavement with the nitto DRs.

I think I am gonna try the nittos then, where is the best place to get them? I havent been in central florida for a while...

The 50s fit on the stock rim without any problems for me, can't remember about the 60s. The 60s will give you almost a 28" tire, so if you have a car that traps over 115 mph you may want to find out about them.