Best oil filter?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I know some of you prefer the PF 52 oil filter, preferably the one with the black drain back valve, as I recall someone mentioning the ones with the pink drain back valve are junk foreign made knock off's.

What do you think of the Mobile 1 oil filters?

How about the K&N oil filters? I see these have the pink drain back valve....I hope that doesn't mean they're a junk knock off brand. :eek:

I know some of you prefer the PF 52 oil filter, preferably the one with the black drain back valve, as I recall someone mentioning the ones with the pink drain back valve are junk foreign made knock off's.

What do you think of the Mobile 1 oil filters?

How about the K&N oil filters? I see these have the pink drain back valve....I hope that doesn't mean they're a junk knock off brand. :eek:

get the biggy oil adapter from rjc they have a list of filters to go with it and you will gain up to 3 psi in idle pressure

Either use the RJC adapter or at least go with a WIX 51036 filter.

I use two oil filters on my engines. Two filters are better than one! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 745
Amsoil Filter

I use Amsoil Ea oil filters. They filter down to 2 microns. Made to use with their synthetic oil for up to 25,000 miles. I of course change mine every 3000 or less since Im running a non synthetic blend, but the filter works just aswell with either. Plus its larger than the stock filter. Its one of the best filters out there.

I like the baldwin filters. They have excellent anti-drain back valves and were rated very high in tests. Can get them at carquest stores. Cheap also! #35 part number. Later, Bob.

I've been using the system 1 oil filter for about 11 years. Just unscrew the filter housing from the top section remove the element clean with dish washing soap,dry it, wipe out the housing and reinstall. Makes it easy to keep an eye on the condition of the engine oil system without having to cut the oil filter open.

It only costs more when you first buy it but you only have to pay for it once after that all you need is oil for an oil change. :biggrin:

What about the PF 52 filters with the black drain back valve?

Ditto on the Wix.

Where can i purchase an Amsoil filter?

Around here we have O Reiley's, Napa and Autozone.

Canton Super Filter on the pressure side. Dual PZ-1 off the shelf Pennzoil brand filters (very cheap) on the scavenge side. Small wire screen Peterson inline for the turbo. Can't have too many filters.

I use Amsoil Ea oil filters. They filter down to 2 microns. Made to use with their synthetic oil for up to 25,000 miles. I of course change mine every 3000 or less since Im running a non synthetic blend, but the filter works just aswell with either. Plus its larger than the stock filter. Its one of the best filters out there.

To define the "best" oil filter, you need to first state the application.:)

To use a 2 micron filter on a race car could spell disaster.:mad: A filter with such a small micron rating would seriously hamper oil flow at higher RPM's. If leaded race gas is used, the contaminants would quickly clog the filter media. It may be fine however, on the street, especially with a newer vehicle using light weight synthetic oil.

On a performance turbo Buick engine, with higher than stock pressures, it can also collapse the filter media, seen this happen many times.

We have had problems with even 10 micron filters in the performance cars. Since oil is changed VERY frequently in the race cars, using a performance filter with ratings over 50 micron is not unusual. With start up pressures reaching close to 100 psi, burst pressure and a good gasket seal is also important.

Having seen many GN's with over 150K miles that are running the original engine, and it is still in excellent running condition with whatever oil and filter that the dealer uses, seems like no special oil or filter is needed there.

I ordered some Baldwin filters to use both on the engine and on the tuber filter setup from Red Regal T, and am very impressed with the quality. You can find them for sale online. No more bootleg parts store filters for me.

To use a 2 micron filter on a race car could spell disaster.:mad: A filter with such a small micron rating would seriously hamper oil flow at higher RPM's. If leaded race gas is used, the contaminants would quickly clog the filter media. It may be fine however, on the street, especially with a newer vehicle using light weight synthetic oil.

On a performance turbo Buick engine, with higher than stock pressures, it can also collapse the filter media, seen this happen many times.

We have had problems with even 10 micron filters in the performance cars. Since oil is changed VERY frequently in the race cars, using a performance filter with ratings over 50 micron is not unusual. With start up pressures reaching close to 100 psi, burst pressure and a good gasket seal is also important.

Having seen many GN's with over 150K miles that are running the original engine, and it is still in excellent running condition with whatever oil and filter that the dealer uses, seems like no special oil or filter is needed there.

Nick, what does your engine builder (Zimmerman) recommend for use on his racing engines (typical 10, 9 sec race engine)?

Thanks in advance.

Amsoil EAO filters are the best in several ways...

Flow, filtration, silicone ADBV, and contruction (burst and collapse resistance).

The media is licensed by Donaldson and is a full synthetic media, not a cellulose like every other filter out there. It lets more oil pass through while also filtering much better than a normal filter. Think of a normal filter with tiny fibers overlapping each other with gaps in between them to let the oil pass. The EAO has smaller gaps in the fiber for better filtration BUT the fibers themselves are smaller meaning extra "gaps" which is where the extra flow comes in. No need for a 50 micron ever.

They have a higher dirt carrying capacity before becoming plugged. Amsoil rates them for 25,000 miles but some have gone to 60K.

Besides the obvious benefits of extra flow in a performance motor, the better flowing filter will spend less time in bypass when the oil is cold or the revs are up, reducing the time unfiltered oil is passed through the motor. There is very little pressure differential between the inlet and outlet, most people have measured less than 4psi on cold 40wt oil on various vehicles.

Last, the standard cellulose filters swell when moisture is introduced and filtration suffers. The synthetic media isn't affected by moisture.

This one really stands out above the rest. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of it.

Amsoil EAO filters are the best in several ways...

Flow, filtration, silicone ADBV, and contruction (burst and collapse resistance).

The media is licensed by Donaldson and is a full synthetic media, not a cellulose like every other filter out there. It lets more oil pass through while also filtering much better than a normal filter. Think of a normal filter with tiny fibers overlapping each other with gaps in between them to let the oil pass. The EAO has smaller gaps in the fiber for better filtration BUT the fibers themselves are smaller meaning extra "gaps" which is where the extra flow comes in. No need for a 50 micron ever.

They have a higher dirt carrying capacity before becoming plugged. Amsoil rates them for 25,000 miles but some have gone to 60K.

Besides the obvious benefits of extra flow in a performance motor, the better flowing filter will spend less time in bypass when the oil is cold or the revs are up, reducing the time unfiltered oil is passed through the motor. There is very little pressure differential between the inlet and outlet, most people have measured less than 4psi on cold 40wt oil on various vehicles.

Last, the standard cellulose filters swell when moisture is introduced and filtration suffers. The synthetic media isn't affected by moisture.

This one really stands out above the rest. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of it.

Is this material also considered a depth filtration media?

Is this material also considered a depth filtration media?
I dont belive so...

The underlying principle behind depth filtration is that just as dirt particles have varying sizes,
shapes and chemical compositions, the use of different sized media, with varying chemical
properties, allows for more efficient contact coagulation.
A depth filter usually has three to five layers of filtration media, each of different size and density
in a pressurized vessel. Light, coarse material lies at the top of the filter bed. The media become
progressively finer and denser in the lower layers. A depth filter also has an underbedding of
relatively large-sized media with a distribution system designed to provide uniform collection of
filtered water during service.

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are made with premium-grade full synthetic media. The strictly controlled processing of this media ensures accurate filter construction, and is what allows Ea Oil Filters to deliver higher capacity and efficiency along with better durability.
Over the service life of a conventional cellulose filter, hot oil will degrade the resins that bind the media. The Ea Oil Filters’ full synthetic media technology is resin-free. It uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior strength.
Ea Oil Filters are constructed with HNBR nitrile gaskets that are fully tested to extreme distances in numerous severe environments. .