Best GN Dash!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
This is by far the best dash ever for a GN as it brings information and data which is reliable and readable for the driver!

The GNX dash is nice, but this product from Dakota Digital brings the GN into the 21st century.

The housing and frame is a CNC aluminum piece not crummy plastic like the original. The gauges are analog and also they have a digital read out, and various colors are available for the instrumentation.

A CAT 5 cable connects the control box the dash display so there is not a nest of wires to cause issues?

This is the second one we have installed in a GN, and by the time you just install the various gauges needed, it becomes aprice consideration to go the the DD dash.

dash 1.jpg
dash 2.jpg

Looks like a nice unit Nick.
Would you happen to have a picture of one of these installed in a car?

thx

dave

I purchased one of theses for my Turbo Regal. High quality unit with relatively easy install overall. I have encountered a significant problem with the fuel gauge. Have also installed a new fuel pump/sending unit assembly from Racetronix and the Dakota dash refuses to read the level. Tech support of no real help - friendly yes - as they keep blaming it on poor ground connection. I am on my umpteenth wiring modification trying to work this out but no success yet. This has ruined an otherwise great upgrade. Should mention that initially the price seems high yet it is truly competitive when you price what other options are today.

I purchased one of theses for my Turbo Regal. High quality unit with relatively easy install overall. I have encountered a significant problem with the fuel gauge. Have also installed a new fuel pump/sending unit assembly from Racetronix and the Dakota dash refuses to read the level. Tech support of no real help - friendly yes - as they keep blaming it on poor ground connection. I am on my umpteenth wiring modification trying to work this out but no success yet. .......

The gauge will work if a proper signal is received as it was tested before shipping.

The Racetronix fuel senders I have installed have a basic flaw.

The instructions state to ground to the frame which is a horrible thing to do as the frame is a very poor conductor, especially compared to a 10 gauge stranded copper wire which MUST have a circuit directly back to the battery.

If the ground is not proper for the sending unit, it would suggest that the fuel pump also has a poor ground that will adversely affect performance?

Looks good, especially if one factors in the ease of install. I'd love to see a video of one of these in operation...day and night...before making a final decision though. I really like that it's GPS ready for the speedo. That's definitely the route I plan on going.

I posted on this thread to confirm that the Dakota VHX dash for the Regal was an excellent choice. I did not intend to sabotage the thread with my fuel gauge issue. Nick, thanks for replying. Your point about an inadequate ground will eventually cause fuel pump issues is an excellent point. As you know the Racetronix assembly combines the ground wire from the pump with that of the fuel sender. Is it possible that my gauge issue can be solved by separating the two ground wires? I removed the pump and bench tested the sending unit and it "ohmed" out from .5 to 90.5 which I thought to be amazingly accurate. Just gotta love these problems!

....... As you know the Racetronix assembly combines the ground wire from the pump with that of the fuel sender. Is it possible that my gauge issue can be solved by separating the two ground wires? I removed the pump and bench tested the sending unit and it "ohmed" out from .5 to 90.5 which I thought to be amazingly accurate. Just gotta love these problems!

A simple check for your issue is to tap into the ground wire coming from the tank and run a jumper wire directly to the battery negative and see if this will help.

c87a132d15fe97d45b037e8ae93f0359.jpg
c90a136ce04cf998867c62aa2a11b4e9.jpg
a6e7bc0c0a76a9dbf6bae0eaf0461936.jpg

Sorry I don't have any newer photos but the unit is installed and works. I love it the best $$ I spent on the Buick. It has a boost sensor, oil, water, volt, and fuel gauge works great. The best thing about these are that the parameters can be configured. This unit comes with two buttons that you can configure and set the unit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I don't have any newer photos but the unit is installed and works. I love it the best $$ I spent on the Buick. It has a boost sensor, oil, water, volt, and fuel gauge works great. The best thing about these are that the parameters can be configured. This unit comes with two buttons that you can configure and set the unit up.

Who makes that dash?

Question for anyone that has installed the mentioned dashes.... Do you have an accurate fuel level gauge? Also is there any fluctuation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel gauge will do what the signal from the tank tells it to do.

The stock senders are junk, and current replacements are not much better.

The float and sending unit that we use in our billet fuel sending units cost us almost as much as the entire off-shore complete sender.