Best 3200 Stall Converter For The Street???

ReaL99

I have a TE-44 Turbo withg a .63 Garret housing.I have the stock D5 12 inch converter that was modified to 3000.I have 3:73 Gear's and 28 Inch tall tire's.I think my Turbo spools much slower then stock.May be due to the big front mount intercooler and no catalytic converter.It may run a bit rich too.For the street I was told that the Vigilante 3200 9.5 Inch Single Disc would work great with my set up.I know going beyond 3200 stall speed in a car that is going to be driven alot should be about the max.I also have a Racegate that i want to change to a THDP in the future.For the TE-44 is there any better street converter that spools the Turbo faster that is 3200 or below:confused: I know the non lock/ups are terrible for gas mileage.These days gas mileage is a part in the factor with $4 a gallon gas.Any better streetable converter then the Vig???

I have a TE-44 Turbo withg a .63 Garret housing.I have the stock D5 12 inch converter that was modified to 3000.I have 3:73 Gear's and 28 Inch tall tire's.I think my Turbo spools much slower then stock.May be due to the big front mount intercooler and no catalytic converter.It may run a bit rich too.For the street I was told that the Vigilante 3200 9.5 Inch Single Disc would work great with my set up.I know going beyond 3200 stall speed in a car that is going to be driven alot should be about the max.I also have a Racegate that i want to change to a THDP in the future.For the TE-44 is there any better street converter that spools the Turbo faster that is 3200 or below:confused: I know the non lock/ups are terrible for gas mileage.These days gas mileage is a part in the factor with $4 a gallon gas.Any better streetable converter then the Vig???

Dusty sells a PTC unit that is 10 inches with lock up.
It is meant to only be locked when cruising not at WOT.
The price is very reasonable...

First I would look into your existing combination, I know people
that run the TE-44 with a bone stock coverter.

You have other issues if you cant spool a 44 .63 Garrett with a 3000 stall.

You have other issues if you cant spool a 44 .63 Garrett with a 3000 stall.

I know it runs a little rich but my racegate at the middle of the exhaust pipe is old Tech from anout 15 years ago.Throw in the front mount Intercooler,009,830-850 02's,CNC Race ported Heads with matching Intake,No Cats,Car spools ok but I think a 3200 gives it more pep on the street.For a race from the stop there is no problem and the car launches good.I just like close to instant boost without building boost.:cool:

Try a TT chip cheaper than a convertor
It might work better, 009's are tough to tune
Mine ran great with Eric's chip not so good with other chips

I have a west coast convertor on mine its great on the street. and decent price. but tryin a chip first may be the way to go.

I have already tried 2 chips(Jay Carter,Eastern Performance 93 Chip) but your right that would be the cheapest and easiest thing to try first.I just think that my Racegate near the middle of the cross pipe is the main culprit.The Racegate or Wastegate is so far away from the Turbo that it has to affect spool time.I may be wrong but I was told by many that the Racegate was old Tech and the THDP was what I should go with because the wastegate is right with the Turbo.Im not sure how much of a difference this would make however.Im no Buick expert.I also got those 009's.:(

I know it runs a little rich but my racegate at the middle of the exhaust pipe is old Tech from anout 15 years ago.Throw in the front mount Intercooler,009,830-850 02's,CNC Race ported Heads with matching Intake,No Cats,Car spools ok but I think a 3200 gives it more pep on the street.For a race from the stop there is no problem and the car launches good.I just like close to instant boost without building boost.:cool:

Maybe you should increase the spring tension on the gate and use a device like the one RJC sells that will prevent pressure from reaching the diaphragm until the set point. Ive ran a Racegate on the crossover before and never had spooling issues. A large external gate is not old tech. It can handle a much larger range of turbos and could be run open in 3rd to reduce backpressure and increase power over an internal setup.

I agree with bison, that is not "old tech". The wastegate is only going to effect spool if it's bleeding exhaust pressure before desired boost is achieved. With ported heads and a 3000 stall that thing should spool like crazy...even with a front mount. First I would suggest triple checking for exhaust leaks. Then I would try a manual boost controller like the one rjc sells. You could even build your own for about $10. After that I would try a TT chip and do some tuning.

Maybe you should increase the spring tension on the gate and use a device like the one RJC sells that will prevent pressure from reaching the diaphragm until the set point. Ive ran a Racegate on the crossover before and never had spooling issues. A large external gate is not old tech. It can handle a much larger range of turbos and could be run open in 3rd to reduce backpressure and increase power over an internal setup.

I do have a RJC controller and I placed it a few inches away from the Turbo.I didn't think I needed to install it down near the crosspipe.My story is that I had a 60-1 Turbo and Eastern Performance put the Racegate on.The 60-1 was a laggy terrible Turbo even for the 12 Inch stock modified D5 3000.I switched to the TE-44 and after that the boost controller from the inside the car never worked again.Maybe the different Turbo's???Im not sure why I can't control boost.I don't run more then 17-18lbs of boost anyway so thats not the problem.The TE-44 was a better,funner Turbo that spooled quicker but no where near like a stocker.Precision told me to get rid of the Racegate and go with a THDP.Im not sure what my next step is.I do not think it is the chip though.Others have said a 3200 will wake it up.

Well, here's my .02 on your question. I like my pro-torque and I've heard great things about PTC.

Where are you located? Odds are there's someone close that could help you out. I know if you're close to me I would have no problem letting you try my DP or making sure your waste gate control is set up properly. I know I had a TA 49 (which is pretty much the same as a te44) with stock everything and it spooled pretty well. That's why I think you could get your setup to work with what you have.

Im in PA. Maybe if I do a pass from a dead stop and see what my 02 volts are again to make sure.If there still high I can reduce fuel pressure by 1 lb at a time.That might help.I was told that my car spools well from a Pro Buick guy.I think its just that I want it closer to stock.Its not like the car runs bad just feels a little soft when I hit the pedal.Takes a couple of seconds before full boost.