Being Californian

2quiktocare

Tech Forum Advisor
This is a glimpse as to life in California for those of you sitting by your fire places back East wishing you could live where the weather is less harsh

Not to be outdone by all the redneck, hillbilly, & Texan jokes, you know you're in California ! when...

1. Your coworker has 8 body piercing and none are visible.

2. You make over $300,000 and still can't afford a house.

3. You take a bus and are shocked at two people carrying on a conversation in English.

4. Your child's 3rd-grade teacher has purple hair, a nose ring,
and is named Breeze.

5. You can't remember...is pot illegal?

6. You've been to a baby shower that has two mothers and a sperm donor.

7. You have a very strong opinion about where your coffee beans are grown,and you can taste the difference between Sumatran and Ethiopian.

8. You know which restaurant serves the freshest arugula.

9. You can't remember... is pot illegal?

10. A really great parking space can totally move you to tears.

11. A low speed police pursuit will interrupt ANY TV broadcast.

12. Gas costs $1.00 per gallon more than anywhere else in the U.S.

13. A man gets on the bus in full leather regalia and crotch less chaps. You don't even notice.

14. Unlike back home, the guy at 8:30am at Starbucks wearing the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney really IS George Clooney.

15. Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.

16. Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman who delivers your mail is into S & M, and your Mary Kay rep is a guy in drag.

17. You can't remember... is pot illegal?

18. Its barely sprinkling rain and there's a report on every news station: "STORM WATCH 2003."

19. You have to leave the big company meeting early because Billy Blanks himself is teaching the 4:00pm Tae Bo class.

20. You pass an elementary school playground and the children are all busy with their cells or pagers.

21. It's barely sprinkling rain outside, so you leave for work an hour early to avoid all the weather-related accidents.

22. Hey!!!! Is Pot Illegal????

23. Both you AND your dog have therapists.

24. The Terminator is your governor.

Sounds different from here, i live in a small farming community, on a small horse farm, where deer are in my pasture and the horses starring at them, no traffic jams, no smog, dam its quiet out here, pot grows in the farmers fields, and it is illegal to pick it, i can take my race car out in the road and do a burnout no one notices, but it is cold and windy and snowing today, good part is if it snows about 6 inches i can ride my snowmobile bad part is i freeze my buns off feeding my wifes dam horses and the alley cats that live in our horse barn, life in the mid-west through my eyes,:rolleyes:

Originally posted by odell4o8
Sounds different from here, i live in a small farming community, on a small horse farm, where deer are in my pasture and the horses starring at them, no traffic jams, no smog, dam its quiet out here, pot grows in the farmers fields, and it is illegal to pick it, i can take my race car out in the road and do a burnout no one notices, but it is cold and windy and snowing today, good part is if it snows about 6 inches i can ride my snowmobile bad part is i freeze my buns off feeding my wifes dam horses and the alley cats that live in our horse barn, life in the mid-west through my eyes,:rolleyes:

gotta love indiana:rolleyes:

Odell,

I grew up in Indy, I know exactly what you are talking about. If they weather there was milder, I would have moved back there already. What you discribed as lifestyle sounds great, other than the cold and snow.

Mark:D

Originally posted by odell4o8
where deer are in my pasture and the horses starring at them

Well, we don't have horses, but I came home from town Saturday night and found 2 young deer sleeping in our back yard, about 30 feet from the house. Got them in the headlights and snapped a couple of pics before they ran off. Then last night was asleep in bed and got woke up by a loud bang. Someone bounced a 6 point buck off the front of their truck and it ended up in the front yard. Guy I work with got some free meat...

:D

David

Indiana - where road rage occurs at 4-way stops because everyone is too polite to go first. This state has the nicest people of anywhere I've ever lived and I'm from TN originally. It's incredible. I live in the suburbs but still see rabbits, chipmunks, cats and squirrels daily. Had a deer and a pack of raccoons come through once a while back.

John, you took almost the same trip I did. I was born in Clarksville Tenn, and moved to Indy when I was 5. I left there though and moved to California when I turned 18. I love going back home to both places. Thing is I have become so accustom to here I will have a hard time adjusting I'm sure when I do retire and move back. I still think Tenn. is one of the prettiest places on earth though.

Mark

prettiest place

I have to say that Lexington, KY is the best place to live!! You get the small town feel -- mild weather and still have all the modern things that make life convienent... I moved back in April from California --- soooo happy with the move.. California did have great weather (I lived in Redondo Beach) ...