Beginning welding tips

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
I recently bought a 90 amp mig welder which can use flux wire or gas. It is the $149 Chicago Electric that Harbor Freight sells. I know it isn't the greatest welder in the world, but I just wanted to get something inexpensive to learn on to see if I can be any good at it. For $87 after discounts, I can't go wrong.

I know the wire that comes with it is junk, so I plan on getting a spool of Lincoln .030 gasless flux wire to start with. I plan on getting some cheap steel to practice on. I have all of the safety equipment already, so I guess all I am lacking is experience and tips. :) I have watched a few how-to videos on Youtube, but I was also wondering what some of the pros around here recommend. I understand that you have to practice to find the right wire speed and power, but I'm still looking for more tips.

Thanks

Make sure your ground point is clean. (with that machine try to keep the ground as close to the work area as possible.)

Use wire other than what was supplied (as you stated)
Make sure the areas to be fused are ground and clean - very clean
Get a good mask (one that also sheilds your neck - even if you don't think you need it. Your eyes are precious and the main key to a good weld.
Get a good pair of gloves - you will burn yourself.
DO NOT try to weld aluminum with that welder (I know it says you can and even supplies you with wire) it will overheat and burn the guide tube, then back up the wire feed.
Get a dedicated wire brush and use it for nothing else than mild steel - using a crappy brush will introduce contaminates to the parent metal.
Do not weld overhead until you get some good practice.
If you know someone with an arc welder, try that first and get good at it. You can then weld anything shy of TIG

Is this the little yellow welder that HF/NT sells? IF so don't try anything thicker than 1/8 inch. IT can't generate enough heat to make a clean penetrating weld.

read a lot.

The Miller You Tube tutorials are great sources of info.

I am still a relative newbie but....

What I have found works good on thin sheet metal is to turn the heat down and the wire speed down and basically run a line of tack welds.

I think the pros refer to this as cold welding because the metal doesnt have a continuous bead, but rather a bunch of smaller joints.

Also on thin stuff you can try to run a small bead and then skip 4-6" away and run another bead. Just keep skipping around until the panel is welded.

The hardest welds are vertical and overhead welds.

If you are butting 2 pieces together, chamfer the ends to leave a small groove for the weld to build up in.

I was told when trying to plug weld a hole to start on the outside of the hole and make circles until the pool of weld is a little above the top of the metal.

Always snip the end of the electrode off with dikes before welding a new piece to achieve a better arc at the start of the weld.

Remember anything with eyes can be effected by your weld. My cousin (beginning welder back in the day) made his dog partially blind by not paying attention to where his dog was at the time.

Most important thing is try to have fun, and buy a lot of cut off discs.

Jerry Jr.

Thanks for the tips!

This is the one I bought:
90 Amp Flux Wire Welder

I do have gloves and a welding apron. I just need a better helmet than what came with the welder. I think I might get a Hobart. I'm sure that will be more than the welder. ;)

i have a small Craftsmen wire welder and i am a true rookie
but for me what has worked best is using the gas with the wire.
the biggest pain is cleaning the material before welding/during welding WAPITA
good luck dude

If I can buy a mig welder and weld in floor pans with no prior experience, you should have no problems. :D It's only metal. If you screw up, it can be fixed. That's how I look at it. However, the cheap insulation under the back seat catches fire very easily. :D

I got one of those welding helmets at Lowe's that turn dark instantly when you start to weld.

IMG_0288.jpg

My baby. Saved from being a parts car.
IMG_0721Large.jpg