Bearing wear

Hognose

Just wanted opinions on how the bearing were looks on the bearings,(aside from the marks in the center that I did) sorry the photo is not the best. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN4472.JPG
    DSCN4472.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 234
These bearings have less tha 100 miles? Got that fom your sig. They don't look good if that's the case. Is the crank straight? Are the journals tapered?

These bearings have less tha 100 miles? Got that fom your sig. They don't look good if that's the case. Is the crank straight? Are the journals tapered?

Ditto. Localized wear on main bearings showing a pattern along the shaft is evidence of a bent crankshaft.

Does it look localized?... kinda looks that way to me but i have question mark out there.

Time to get ahold of the builder (if that's not you) and have a chat......

Like the others mentioned, there's a crank problem that needs to be addressed.

Imo...

Alright Chuck, what does this mean?

the girdle, when properly installed/machined, can help w/ engine life. Do it wrong, and just perhaps, this is the resultant damage??
The way the brgs are worn, it's my opinion the crank surfaces are tapered, or the block bores are messed up.
Were the throws, mains, crank brg bores, rods, all checked w/ a dial bore gauge, or mic??
Was the first failure after the girdle was installed? If so, I'd sure take a close look at that mod, as being the source....

Thank you all for the info. These are actually the good bearings. Numbers 2 & 3 mains were down to copper. One rod bearing was half copper and half silver. Just curious what might have caused this.

Thanks again.

Maybe start by answering the questions others have posed??
The more info the easier/more likely the answers can be found...

First time motor had the girdle. I got about 1500 miles on it. Oil pressure was up and down, cut filter found bearing material. Turned out to be a cracked crank, main bearing 2 & 3 burnt. Found also one cap was cracked. Turned out block was machined down on pain rail,front cover and caps were cut also, but evidently cut too much, so I needed new caps and can't use the girdle on this block now. So no girdle this time. Block was honed and line bored and crank was checked.
I am not exactly sure what was measured and what wasn't by the machine shop. I have had this work done by someone else. So I am just trying to gather other opinions and try to learn. Thanks

A broken crank and caps sounds to me like the engine suffered SERIOUS detonation.
This trip, demand a build sheet from the machinist. No info?? Take your stuff elsewhere.
Regardless of the machinist's rep, I ALWAYS recheck the dims, B4 assembly, and record them for future reference.

The # 2 & 3 mains on the first time looked about like they did this time except they were black. The motor definately didn't see any detonation. The pistons and rods were fine also.
The caps were machined too short which made them weak.

Thanks again for your insight.