Battery terminal end?

darkred87T

Hi, my positive battery terminal end is a mess. I guess the stock one was bad so someone (before I owned it) must have replaced it with a universal. My question is, can I put a new end on it or am I better off replacing the whole cable? The cable looks like a big job. Thanks in advance for advise,
Mike

You went 11.8@112 mph and can't figure this out...:confused:

Lol. I'm getting getting lazy and asking others to think for me. I guess I'll just put another end on it and call it a day.

I think I'm starting to get tired of the Buick. :(

:mad:
a new cable is the best way, and isn't very hard to do.

Very much agree with the above...a new battery cable...that way you eliminate all future problems that your old cable could cause. Fix it right the first time...move on to something else worth fixing...and do it yourself...stop being lazy...lazy people don't own TurboBuicks or Grand Nationals...:mad:...so replace that cable now.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yeah, it needs a starter. That's why I was asking. I figured I would do the cable while I was at it.

Yeah, it needs a starter. That's why I was asking. I figured I would do the cable while I was at it.

Smart way to go. Get it all done in one operation. Then on to the next problem you sure will find sooner or later.

Sometimes I get lazy, too, as these cars can be a real pain in the ass. But, no one to fix them but me...if it breaks, I have to fix it. Or restore it. I can't trust anyone else to help...all neighbors here in my part of the woods have never heard of a Grand National...they have no idea what it is. One guy saw it in the garage and shouted "Hey, it's a Monte Carlo!!!!!!Wow!!!" Kid you not, he was serious. Sigh.:frown:

Bruce '87 Grand National

why does everyone think these cars are so difficult to work on? from a purely mechanical standpoint, there is nothig really special about them- GM has has the same basic body on frame chassis design since the early 50's- and they run on the same basic electronics as every other GM car made since the mid 80's. sure, things are packaged a bit different than other cars of their time, but they are certainly no more complicated than any other late model car i've ever worked on.

why does everyone think these cars are so difficult to work on? from a purely mechanical standpoint, there is nothig really special about them- GM has has the same basic body on frame chassis design since the early 50's- and they run on the same basic electronics as every other GM car made since the mid 80's. sure, things are packaged a bit different than other cars of their time, but they are certainly no more complicated than any other late model car i've ever worked on.

I do see your point here and point taken. It's the tuning crap you have to go through, buying an expensive Scanmaster. all those sensors, TPS, MAF sensor, throttle bottle valve angle, air idle control, MAP sensor, wastegate adjustment, cam sensor, cam position sensor, the setting procedure for them, and any small vacuum leak will cause havoc...haven't you've seen all the problems everybody has been having with these TurboRegals? Limping home, won't start, hesitates, backfires, leaning out, vacuum leaks, oil leaks, turbo problems, starts, runs then quits about one mile from home, all this stuff. I'm not referring to the suspension and stuff, just the engine parameters that have to be met. One thing after another. It's all here on the board....constant problems....and constant calls for help. And, THANK GOD, they are here for me too.:biggrin: That's what I meant. With my '69 Vette all I need is new plugs, a timing light, 9/16th distributor wrench, rpm meter, and four carb adjustment screws and I'm ready to go. The light and meter didn't cost much at all. The Scanmaster is a MUST HAVE if you want to tune a TurboRegal. Or a laptop or the other stuff. With the Vette it's tune and go, no problems. 435 horsepower at the rear wheels and no ticket in 27 years!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the TurboRegals and Grand Nationals.:smile: Matter of fact.....I could NEVER live without them. Capise?
PS: With the Vette...I'm either getting older or the Vette is getting smaller....GEEZ!!!!!!! Everything on it is crammed in such a small space!!!:eek:It's a BITCH to work on, but fast, oh yeah, fast like most Vettes. But then, so are the TurboRegals/Grand Nationals. I see the guys here on the board have made thiers SCARY fast!!!!!!:eek:And I love them for it. Nice job, guys. Nice job. Keep wrenching.:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

It's not that their hard to work on. I got mine run down and with a lot of miles on it. Iv'e done a ton of work to it and I did it all myself (minus the the last block overhaul). The problem is, It's no daily driver anymore it and just sits in the garage for the most part until I have the time and $$ to go to the track or to work on it.

My brother (turbojimmy) had to sell his 87 GN recently due to financial/marital problems and I kinda feel like the wind has been taken out the sails with mine. So that's my sob story. I'm gonna check out Autozone later and see if I can get the parts.

O.K. Here's some more dumb questions. What's a good starter to get? I was going to go with a stock replacement but should are there light weight alternatives?

go to gm and get a starter from a 93-96 Lt1 car and the starter bolts .

Stolen from another post.

go to gm and get a starter from a 93-96 Lt1 car and the starter bolts .

Stolen from another post.

They are called "mini starters." Good choice and good buy.

Restolen from the stolen from another post.:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

And, you go to Caspers for the cable. The AZ stuff is cheapo wire, and won't last. A few $ more, but done once, done right.