Battery going dead PART#2 possible cause found

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
Well been driving the 1985 Regal for a week. No issues. Last night I went to the parts store. Left the car running because I was still not convinced it was fixed. Started home and the dash lights and head lights started to dim. Got half way home and finally lost all the lights. Pulled over to get ready to walk. Hit the gas and all lights came back on. They became bright and I continued home with no more issues. Where do I look? Cables? Alternator? I have checked the alternator once before and it was charging. As soon as I hit the gas to rev the engine the lights popped right back on and they were bright and looked normal. They got thier power back instantly. Thanks for any help. Don't want to throw parts at it. It runs great.

You've got a wiring issue for sure. Start with the power wire off the alternator and do a continuity test all all the charging circuit wires.

Ok. Got some testing in. Started the car last night. Turned on the interior lights. Radio. Air. Head Lights. Watched as all the light dimmed till they were completely out. Car running. Battery showed no voltage and the alternator was putting out no voltage. Checked wiring by moving them around by hand to find a possible short. Found nothing. Jumped in the car right before it died. Hit the gas a coulpe times and the lights came back on. Battery voltage around 12.5 Alternator voltage 13.5. I have never had a alternator go bad this way. Is there a short somewhere or am I going to be lucky and have a bad alternator? Thanks for any help.

Had alternator checked numerous times today at Orielly's Tested good numerous times. Decided to replace it anyway. Three trips to town for three different alternators and still one that wouldn't fit I put the old one back on and ordered a forth one that should fit:rolleyes:. It did the same thing. Alternator doesn't charge and pulls the battery down. Hit the gas a few times and it starts to charge. Great voltage if you hit the gas to get it going.:confused:

P.S. God Bless Oreilly Auto Parts

Have you tested the exciter circuit. The 12 SI alternator in your car requires the circuit through your alternator idiot light to properly operate. If this circuit does not put voltage on the terminal 1 of the dual connector on the alternator it will not charge. With engine off and key on there should be power to this terminal.

I had an occasional open in the idiot light/exciter circuit once and the alternator would charge at times and other times not. Even had the alternator rebuilt with same results you are having. You could connect a 35 watt resistor to this terminal one of the dual terminal connector with a key on source of power to bypass the idiot light to see if that fixes your problem. Terminal 2 is the voltage sensor for the alternator regulator and should remain connected to the main alternator output post.

Have you tested the exciter circuit. The 12 SI alternator in your car requires the circuit through your alternator idiot light to properly operate. If this circuit does not put voltage on the terminal 1 of the dual connector on the alternator it will not charge. With engine off and key on there should be power to this terminal.

I had an occasional open in the idiot light/exciter circuit once and the alternator would charge at times and other times not. Even had the alternator rebuilt with same results you are having. You could connect a 35 watt resistor to this terminal one of the dual terminal connector with a key on source of power to bypass the idiot light to see if that fixes your problem. Terminal 2 is the voltage sensor for the alternator regulator and should remain connected to the main alternator output post.
I was just wondering the same thing Loyd. 1 of my cars years ago had the same issue and it turned out that 2 of the wires had shorted to each other. Once I found the issue and got the wires insulated it was all good though.:)

The wires on the alternator plug? Which one is the idiot light wire? Thanks so much guys for the help.

Plug has two wires. Red and black. Red wire is hot with the key on and off. Black wire had no power with the car not running switch on. Started the car still no power to the black wire. Hit the gas and got power to the black wire. I hope the black wire is the idiot light wire!!:D

Anyone know what the black and red wire on the alternator plug are? Think I'm about to get this issue fixed. Thanks for any help.