Battery draining while sitting

onefastjackass

Ok MY battery is draining while sitting will not start after a few days.I unhooked the battery for three weeks and then it dosn't drain and cranks over fine.

Car runs fine and doesn't lose electrical power while running.

So this leads me to believe that the car is the problem not the battery.While hooking the battery back up I also noticed that a clicking was coming from a relay on the drivers fender the one that has two cannon plugs going on it.
If I disconnect the inboard one (farthest from the fender) the clicking stops.If I disconnect the other one(closest to the fender) and put other one back on(farthest from the fender) then it clicks.

What is the relay for and what would be keeping it energized?
Also the car has a hot wire kit and also a volt booster along with all the things listed in my sig.Any thoughts or ideas would be appriciated. Thanks Kevin

If you're talking about the largest relay closest to the windshield, that is the fan delay relay. They tend to calf eventually causing the fan to continue running on high speed until the battery drains. The unit may be causing the fan to come on sometime after you leave your vehicle and drain the battery.

Get a replacement from a yard. New ones are around $60.

My fans have never ran after cutting the car off in 13 years, but the delay relay eventually went south and started draining the battery. What you can do to make sure that's what it is, disconnect the battry + cable at the battery and hook up an amp meter in line, should not pull more than .06a for the memory/clock radio, if its pulling more, disconnect the delay and see if it drops, if it doesn't, continue pulling relays or fuses till you find the culprit.

BTW, I just unplugged the fan delay relay and never replaced it since the fans never came on anyway, don't really see the point in the fans running after the engine is off anyway.
Same thing happened to my TTA except the fans would run and never cut off. The delay relay on the TTA is just to the passenger side next to the radiator.

Get a good meter and start unplugging fuses/relays until you see where your draw is....I'd say go to gnttype.org for the procedure, but they're down right now.

There are some posts on file hear...do a search. Otherwise, disconnect positive cable, use the meter b/w the two, and you'll probably be done quicker if you can get someone else to pull the fuses...or do what I did:

Pull all the fuses and put them back in one by one....took for ever...but it ended up being my radio and powermaster that did the damage....can't do anything about the radio (memory draw...and it is significant...which I don't get!!)...but I fixed the powermaster.

I still have a draw, so I have to disconnect the battery every time i'm parking it for more than 1-2 days...SUCKS!

hth

Just a thougt but my old alarm was killing my battery. I had to remove the alarm.

Originally posted by Maltman

I still have a draw, so I have to disconnect the battery every time i'm parking it for more than 1-2 days...SUCKS!

hth [/B]

If you care...you can buy a battery disconnect switch for around $20 and make that a lot easier on yourself. Marine stores sell one that shuts off with a key. I figure anything that makes my life easier and makes my car harder to steal is worth $20 but that's just me

Just a thought. My GN sits most of the time.
I bought one of kirban trickle charger.

I plug it to a wall socket. And when I'm ready to go.
Un plug it .No battery drain.

Just a though I ran into the same hassle.

Another way out. HTH'ed..............

2 cars One GN. 1 Limited chrome white/blue interior.
Both ahve them..............:)

Originally posted by RobV6
Just a thought. My GN sits most of the time.
I bought one of kirban trickle charger.

I plug it to a wall socket. And when I'm ready to go.
Un plug it .No battery drain.

Just a though I ran into the same hassle.

Another way out. HTH'ed..............

2 cars One GN. 1 Limited chrome white/blue interior.
Both ahve them..............:)

Same here! My hybrid drains the battery after 5 -6 days, so I bought a cheapo Harbor Freight trickle charger and it stays plugged up whenever garaged. I've checked every circuit and the biggest draw so far has been 7ma :confused: not near enough to kill the battery. I'll get back on it some day...

Thats funny, I just took my Duralast Gold battery back to Autozone cause after it would sit for a week the car didn't start. Lady said battery was good after she charged it. I said OK but the next time it goes dead, I'm driving by and throwing it thru your front window. She said what do you want ME to do? I said give me a new one, left with a new battery. :D It was only a year old.
Tarey D.

Thanks for all the replys.I will keep you updated as to what I find out.Boy I miss gnttype.org now.Not having access to the wiring diagrams stinks

My blower motor was coming on by itself. Turned out to be the little circuit next to it. It would come on in the middle of the night so I didn't know what the problem was rigth away.

Had the exact problem with my Limited. Found out the motor was good. After checking it.
But the control unit in the car was bad. So you are not alone.

HTH'ed......................Rob

I let my GN sit for weeks at a time between driving and while the battery never was dead it was weak a few times so I bought a little automatic trickle for it and my Seadoo. Now they both stay charged up now:D

i heard of a few guys, that had problems with them draining there batterys,
disconnect it and see what happens,
good luck, and let us know.

one fast jackass

Do you by any chance have a factory security system in your car....or a system that works with the factory security light. Im having a similar problem......and ive traced the drainage to the security light going on randomly. Its supposed to flash only when the door(s) is open. But mine just comes on and off whenever it feels like. I was told that theres a sensor in the door area that triggers this light. When it goes bad....the light does what it wants. Im not 100 percent on this part though.
Chris

Ok after I disconnected the fan delay relay.It was pulling a decent amount I set the meter to 20m setting and now have readings of 11.5 and if I pull the clk fuse it goes to 2.5 once again with the meter set in the 20m position.

Am I correct in saying that that it means that it is pulling 11.5 milliamps and 2.5 milliamps??(been a long time since I used a meter)

This seems correct to me what do you guys think???

So what I think was the problem was the fan delay relay and now I think I might also have to replace the battery due to all the times it's been killed.

But once again any thoughts are welcome.