battery drain

1985buickttype

I just got my car working two weeks ago and last weekend went to start her up and the battery was dead? The battery is new its the orielys brand nothing special. Would these drain in one week?

you might have a bad battery, or you have an electric drain (you left something on) or the alternator is shot and its not charging the battery.

just some ideas...

any CSK auto store should have a charging station, they check your battery and charge it for free, and will be able to tell you if its not operating at its proper cranking amps.

They also test alternators (but sometimes they test fine and are really broken...)

good luck!

yeah really. I kept had problems with my 84 not keeping a charge I checked everything. volts were good (14.2 volts) it wasn't until I took it off and had just the alt tested that it only was making like 60 amps. so it slowly killed my battery.

intresting....I need to replace the alt anyways the plastic piece in the front broke when changeing the belts...so two birds with one stone

Now replacing the alt. my not fix the problem. it could be something else like a short some place that is drainind the batt. You should have your alt. tested to find out if it's that. take your car to autozone or whatever and have them test your charging system and that tell you what to look at. I just didn't want you to go and buy something on the word of someone that has never seen you or your car. hope I helped

GN84Turbo said:
you might have a bad battery, or you have an electric drain (you left something on) or the alternator is shot and its not charging the battery.

just some ideas...

any CSK auto store [or Autozone] should have a charging station, they check your battery and charge it for free, and will be able to tell you if its not operating at its proper cranking amps.

They also test alternators (but sometimes they test fine and are really broken...)

Like I said, its probably one of these things. If it turns out it is a short somewhere, unless you're good with a volt/ohmmeter, you'll have to take it to a good mechanic/electrician to run a diagnositc. Check your grounds too. they might have come loose, its right below the A/C compressor (if u haven't removed yours :biggrin: )

good luck

To those out there with Battery Drain ... I have found the problem!!!

If the Radio Clock stays on with the key off then if your car sits for around 3 days or more it will not start. So what you end up doing is you jump start your car and then go driving around for fun and to charge your battery. To fix this problem you can just disconnect the battery each time you put the car up, but that is a pain. This battery drain drove me nuts and so I put lots of time into tracking this problem down. I knew that the drain was around 350 milliamps and it have to be something that happened due to age to the car to cause the problem OR when the car was new everyone would have just taken them back to the dealer to fix the problem. In other words the car did not come with this problem. I did pull fuses until I found the problem circuit and it was on the CLK fuse. The CLK has lots of circuits on it and is one of the two power sources to the Radio. This circuit powers the memory for the radio stations, time and the radio will not work with out it. I remembered that GM car radio’s that have a clock go off if you turn the key off, and you can push in the volume knob to get the time with the key off. So I went back to the Internet to search for problems with the GM radio clock. I found the there are tons of Turbo cars out there with this same problem and lots of guy with the wrong ideas as to what is wrong. I found that there is a circuit that controls the clock and that some guys had this fixed by a radio shop but they really didn’t know what was fixed. I have had this problem for years and I wanted to know all about it. I then pulled my radio and replaced a shorted circuit and now the clock goes off when the key is off. I can let my car sit for weeks and it will still start, and it’s a healthy start. There is no battery drain period. I can fix your radio for $39.95 including shipping it back to you. Here is an added bonus to fixing the radio clock and if you think about it makes sense. There seems to be a lot of turbo cars that just die and or miss at idle. My car would do this, but does not seem to now, since I have fixed the clock. I believe that this is due to the battery having a full healthy charge. This puts the correct voltage to all sensors and the computer. I still need to have some more time to test this but I have noticed a difference just leaving a traffic light and at idle. So if you would like to have your radio clock light repaired then pack it good put your name and return address on the radio and then send it with $39.95 to David Ellis 9560 Heatherdale Dallas, TX 75243.

David Ellis

Ellis@davidellisrealestate.com

Home

972-849-8880