Battery Drain 86-87 GN

Ok guys

I am going to start a project and would welcome any help. I have had my 87 Type T for over 13 years and I know if the car sits for more than 3 or 4 days it is not going to start. I know that most of you have the same problem. I would like to know if there is any of you guys that don’t have that problem. I have seen over 100 questions on the Big Site with guys also with the same problem. If we can fix this, then we fix it for all the other g-bodys out there.. Here is what I know to be true so far.

The battery drain is around 300 Milliamps which is less than one dome light. So we are looking for something like a smaller light, coil, relay, small short with resistance, tin whisker, a shorted Diode. This is going to be something that is on drawing current that is not going to be easy to find due to many that have tried.
The Fuse that has the drain is the CLK-CIG 20 AMP if you remove this fuse you will then not show a drain on the battery so the problem is in this circuit.
It is not the radio capacitor, it is not the fan delay relay, it is not the alternator, It is not the computer
Here is a list of what this fuse covers ( got this off the Big Site)

radio capacitor

LH front door lock switch

RH front door switch

LH front courtesy/warning lights

RH front courtesy/warning lights

Dome light and reading lights

LH and RH rear reading lights

Trunk light

RH vanity mirror light

There is power to a bunch of other things that are connected at a splice in the instrument panel wiring harness these are:

Antenna relay
AC control head (electronic touch climate control)
security indicator
Chime Module
instrument cluster (digital only)
Radio
Cigar lighter
Glove bob light
Engine compartment light
LH footwell courtesy light
RH footwell courtesy light

Things to think about

Is it just Buick turbo cars?

Are there any g-body non turbo cars with problem?

Probably not just digital dash cars because we all have the problem.

Lots of people have looked for this so it not just going to be a simple find

This is going to be something that we all have on our cars special options would not count.

Has anyone out there had this problem and changed something else and the problem is now gone? (radio,etc,etc)

We can do this

David Ellis

Ellis@davidellisrealestate.com

Do a search "fan relay", if I recall most have discovered it to be the fan relay, most unhook it and problem solved.

I have never personally had an issue with battery going dead even after several months. Hope you figure it out.

Seen this at Kirbans.

FieldFix Alternator Plug-In by Casper's Electronics

Click to enlarge
The FieldFix Alternator Plug-In by Caspers Electronics plug and play wire harness is designed to assure uninterrupted charging system function on your Turbo Buick or Turbo Trans Am.

It forces field current to the alternator whenever the ignition switch is on, and eliminates the possibility of not charging the battery due to faulty wires, burned-out ALT lamp, aging dash cluster flex-board connections, dash wiring problems, etc.

It accomplishes this by providing current to the field winding or the alternator whenever the key switch is turned on.

We highly recommend this item because if the bulb for the alternator light in the dash burns out, the charging system will not function! By having this installed in your car, the charging system will still function properly.

FieldFix comes with easy-to-follow directions. It simply plugs in and no wires are cut. This harness provides the alternator with its field current, acts as a safety net for system charging and assured full charging
capability to the cars battery.
Fits: 1986-1987 Turbo Regal and 1989 Turbo Trans Am

Got a battery parasite in mine too.
Clock stays on unplugged radio.
Door chime works.
Up to my a$$ with alligators with work (farmer).
Still not sure I have found it,will continue to look.
Will watch this thread and will post what I find.
Good luck to all.

My lighted visor was left on. I drive her mostly to day time car shows. I don't usually drive my car at night. I did on this particular night and that's when I found the light was on.

My 87 GN does the same thing. I wonder if it is related to the factory security system or system light? Good luck in your search!

im going through everything tied into that fuse.....for now the clk fuse is unplugged i want everything to work properly again

I had that problem years ago and the mercury switch for the under hood light wasn't working. Another time it was the fan relay.

I can go for months now and the car starts up and I don't use a battery tender.

I had the same problem also, light in the trunk was staying on. Try pulling the bulb and see what happens.

Have you guys run a draw test ?
Finding a drain is quiet easy, just need a good Multi meter and some patients !
Let me know if you guys need help finding your draw or explanations

Currently performing a draw check with DMV on all known culprits.
Had not thought about glove box or trunk light,hood light is removed.
Will mercury switch on hood allow draw with bulb removed?
Car is down for rear main seal replacement/trans filter etc.
Will keep sniffing and post results.
Good luck to all and keep the ideas comin'

im still lost on this issue disconnected radio too and it wasnt the cause......im just gonna keep the fuse out for now my radio still works with a cassette adapter for my iphone

Turns out my battery drain was the radio.
After unplugging it, went back thru an plugged all the culprits back in.
DMV showed no drain,let car sit for three days fired up,all good.
If you have any circuits that you have added maybe a wire has rubbed thru enough to leak
juice but not blow a fuse/circuit breaker.
I had that problem with another vehicle ( farm truck,damn mice!)