bare-metal painting

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
I got a nice new bumper thats chrome, i sanded it so paint cant stick to it. Now my question is how do i prep the metal. Do i use a primer or just spray the base coat?

You really need to sand blast it to make sure the paint will stick and use an Epoxy primer over the bare metal

Later
Brent

I sanded it till the metal took a goldish-copper look. I dont know if it was rust or is that the texture of the metal?

That's part of the chroming process. What color are you using? Have you bought the paint yet? The use of epoxy primer will help adhesion of your topcoat.

Well i want to paint the bumper black. I have not baught the paint yet. Im waiting till the whole car is ready to get painted. I painted a small part of the pumper to see if it sticks, it does, doesnt peal off. I tried scratching it off with a nail and it makes lines but doesnt flake off. I'll try the epoxy primer. That has the stretch agent in it, correct?

No flex agent.......you don't need it, of course. Epoxy primer is a little expensive and is not absolutely necessary. I don't know what kind of job you're looking to do. I was going to suggest you paint the bumper with synthetic enamel. It's inexpensive, single stage, and easy to paint. Just like any front bumper, chromed or non chromed, it's going to get chipped. If you use something inexpensive as the paint I've described, you can do it over anytime you want in a couple hours. You won't be able to tell the difference between the finish in synthetic enamel or if you choose the very much more expensive base coat/clearcoat.

I would recommend a good self etching primer, like what Eastwood sells, I had a set acid-dipped, then I primered them and painted them and it's peeling a little now.

painting bumper

I recently sandblasted a painted chrome bumper, had urethane primer under the black paint that stuck really good to a sanded chrome bumper, so I went back with the 2k urethane and base coat/clear coat, looks real good, total cost around $200 to sandblast, reprime, paint, wet sand and buff. I will agree with RED REGAL T as it will all get chipped sooner or later. I have another to do soon and will try single stage just for giggles to see which may last longer, but base/clear will look better longer as far as shine over time.

Thanks
Bill

I bet it would chip, just dont want it to brush off when i give the car a wash, and 1 stroke of the spondge whipes the paint off. Ill go with the expensive epoxy primer. If im going to do it ill go all the way. Thanks for everyones help.

Originally posted by 1000MileStylez
I bet it would chip, just dont want it to brush off when i give the car a wash, and 1 stroke of the spondge whipes the paint off. Ill go with the expensive epoxy primer. If im going to do it ill go all the way. Thanks for everyones help.

YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER......BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE HIM DRINK. :rolleyes:

Painting chrome bumpers

So to paint chrome bumpers you do not need to have the chrome chemically stripped off? You can just sand or sand blast the surface and use a high quality primer? The primer will adhere properly?

Thanks,
Dan

Hey heres an idea for you all. Instead of spending all of your time prepping the bumper than spending a small fortune for paint and materials, only to have it chip or flake off in the future. Check to see if any one does powder coating in your area. I've had my GN for 16 years now and every year I did the strip and paint ritual untill I lucked out and found a company in town powder coating. All I had to do is strip the old finish off, and since black was one of their most popular colors they charged me $25.00 for each bumper and the total downtime was about 1 week. Heck a quart of epoxy cost more than that now. That was about 10 years ago and my bumpers are still chip free and as new looking as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Eric Fisher