Ball Joints

Did you check to see if the play in the wheel was just misadjusted wheel bearings? I had that happen.

Screw the ball joints, when you get tired of this do what I did
image.jpg

What brand of ball joint are you trying to install? I had some Moog lower ball joints that I could not press in without removing the lower arms. I tried a different brand and they went in very easily using the large C clamp press.

I'm very tempted to bite the bullet and go the tubular/coilover route early. This is too much effort for stock replacement crap. I'll see how I feel about it after I get the springs and lower arms out. What setup are you running 1952ray ? And yea, these are Moog ball joints I'm dealing with.

You may want to try a different brand ball joint. The Moog joints I had appeared to be oversize. There was no way to press them in. I switched to Napa I believe and they went right in.

I'm very tempted to bite the bullet and go the tubular/coilover route early. This is too much effort for stock replacement crap. I'll see how I feel about it after I get the springs and lower arms out. What setup are you running 1952ray ? And yea, these are Moog ball joints I'm dealing with.

Spohn and SPC springs

Did you put the ball joints in the freezer over night to shrink em down before attempting installation?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Did you put the ball joints in the geezer over night to shrink em down before attempting installation?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Oh yea, I did leave em in the freezer over night as well. Two nights actually...

Update: I took cork's advice and tried the Napa lower ball joints, and what do ya know... They went right in. Bolted everything back together on Monday and just got back from the local "tuna" for my alignment. I'm hoping after a couple hundred miles the new components will loosen up and become more predictable. For now, I'm just happy this project is over, and I want to thank all of those who replied to this thread and guided me through to completion. :)