Ball joint replacement

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
Just got my car inspected and I failed for both ball joints on the right side. Also car is throwing a code 34 for a MAF again :(. Anyway, it's almost a good thing because this forces me to do my front suspension anyway. I'm going to be doing shocks and springs up front on both sides along with all 4 ball joints. Do you guys have any tips or a recommended order of steps that I do this all in? I have a spring compressor and I will have a set of jack stands and a jack.

I've read that MOOG ball joints are great for the price, do you know where I can get them or would you recommend something else? I checked with NAPA on my way home and they only have the lower ball joints by Precision.

Just got my car inspected and I failed for both ball joints on the right side. Also car is throwing a code 34 for a MAF again :(. Anyway, it's almost a good thing because this forces me to do my front suspension anyway. I'm going to be doing shocks and springs up front on both sides along with all 4 ball joints. Do you guys have any tips or a recommended order of steps that I do this all in? I have a spring compressor and I will have a set of jack stands and a jack.

I've read that MOOG ball joints are great for the price, do you know where I can get them or would you recommend something else? I checked with NAPA on my way home and they only have the lower ball joints by Precision.

Napa does carry MOOG uppers as well as lowers. That is where we get ours from as well.

Moog makes great parts. Make sure the spring compressor will fit. Internal compressors work best for these cars. You will also need a ball joint press tool to install the lowers. The upper joints have 4 rivets that have to be ground down. I usually cut the old springs out with a torch. Be careful, one of my old mechanics had a spring jump out and bust him in the head:eek: Check your sway bar links too, they are cheap. Check the passenger upper control arm bushings. Good time to replace if needed.

Do you guys have the Moog part number for the ball joints? Will I be able to rent a ball joint press from Autozone or would I be able to get away with using a regular C-clamp?

I have read that NAPA's private labe ball joints are DANA and are better quality than MOOG. I will be investigating this in the next few weeks! My GN is apart and getting lots of work done as we speak.:)

I have a related question- I would like to replace my ball joints and control arm bushings. Where should I buy the bushings? Are there any differences between them? I want to retain the stock ride. Do poly bushings firm it up? Didn't mean to hijack this thread. :biggrin:

A c-clamp would be tricky. I don't know where you can rent tools because I bought all that stuff. I had poly upper bushings melt on the passenger side. Unless you toss the car around turns a lot I wouldn't install them.

I have a related question- I would like to replace my ball joints and control arm bushings. Where should I buy the bushings? Are there any differences between them? I want to retain the stock ride. Do poly bushings firm it up? Didn't mean to hijack this thread. :biggrin:

I used Moog Problem Solvers bushings when I rebuilt mine. They are rubber but are supposed to be close to the performance of urethane bushings without the squeeks (Federal-Mogul - Moog Bushings)

I bought them from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto. Once you pull up a Grand National, look under suspension, control arm bushing kit and you will find them.

Rob

I checked with another NAPA and they only had precision engineering ball joints as well so I just grabbed them. They said if I bring the A-arms they can press the ball joints for me for free at another location of their's with a machine shop.