Bad Turbo?

1buick

My 87 gn smokes sometimes when I first start it up after the car is warm. The car does not smoke when starting in the morning or when the car cool down. It doesn't smoke on every start. The motor is a fresh rebuild, although I used the same turbo that came on the car when I purchased it 2 years ago. I have no idea how old it is. The shaft play seemed to be very little. Is this a sign of the turbo going bad? It does not smoke when idling or at cruise speed. Any ideas guys.

If it was the turbo it would smoke under boost and build boost poorly. I have had plenty of turbos go up in smoke and all of them produced heavy amounts of smoke under throttle.

Just after a warm start would seem more to me like either the rings didnt set right or the valve guides could be causing a little blow by. I am not a mechanic though and those are only guesses.

Are you sure the smoke is oil? Raw gas can look close like oil when its not blowing out black. If the car has a really rich start when warm it could just simply be raw gas fumes.

Is the smoke black or bluish? I also doubt it is the turbo given your description.

smoke

yeah x2 for rich gas or fuel loading up, do your check engine light come on:cool:

How many miles since the rebuild. Might be the rings not seated. I'm probably wrong though.

The smoke is bluish. Could a to rich tune cause this?

In theory yes. When I had just put my new motor in my car my tune in FAST was horribly rich. I remember people telling me I should contact my builder because it looked like I was blowing oil out of the tail pipes right after I started the car. If they would have only stood close enough to get a whif of the smoke they should have known it was gas and not oil.

Thats a nice healthy way to tell what it is. Start the car and go smell the smoke, if it smells like gas, its gas, if it smells like oil, get your heads checked. ;)

thanks guys, i'll check the smell as soon as i get the car going. I put cam 2 in saturday and it had trash in it, and i stopped up the fuel filter i think. I had a meeting with a 03 cobra, I am sad to say I didn't make.:mad:

Eh, that sucks but you are working on it so all you did was give that Cobra guy a bigger head for a bit. Once you work things about he will be eager to smoke your little brick again only this time he will be hearing his own whine get drowned out by a woosh. :D

PS: its not healthy to smell your exhaust. Although it is an effective way to figure out what kind of smoke it coming out of the tail pipes.

bluish smoke -oil,, ,black -gas ....:eek:

Unless its a pig rich tune sitting at idle. Gas can look close to oil if its THAT rich at idle. I just ironed out this problem with mine. It smoked like my rings were shot but if you smelled it you knew it was gas. If I hammered it then the smoke would turn black but at idle, it was gray which looked blue to some.

yeah, his head is pretty big. I must admit the cobra runs great, but he has some traction issues. That may be his down fall. I hope the smoke issue is richness at idle. I will soon find out.