Bad turbo signs??

TWISTER

I have a problem on a friends Raptor 700 he put a turbo kit on. It wont build more than 2 lbs of boost he says. He also states there is some smoke coming from the seal between the compressor and the exhaust housing. He thinks the turbo may be bad. He has bypassed the manual boost controller and tightened the wastegate rod as much as he dare. I know this seems kinda sketchy but hes 1 1/2 hrs away and I have the same kit coming in 2 weeks for mine. What are signs to look for on a turbo that wont let it build boost. Innercooler pipes are tight and he is on the 2nd boost gauge to make sure of boost. Any thought would be appreciated. Flapper is also intact on wastegate

Look for

1- Blow off valve open
2- Intake pipes and or silicone connectors bad/loose, etc...
3- Wastegate open or partially stuck open
4- If its leaking oil from the seals, sounds like the seals are bad

What brand turbo?

I have a problem on a friends Raptor 700 he put a turbo kit on. It wont build more than 2 lbs of boost he says. He also states there is some smoke coming from the seal between the compressor and the exhaust housing. He thinks the turbo may be bad. He has bypassed the manual boost controller and tightened the wastegate rod as much as he dare. I know this seems kinda sketchy but hes 1 1/2 hrs away and I have the same kit coming in 2 weeks for mine. What are signs to look for on a turbo that wont let it build boost. Innercooler pipes are tight and he is on the 2nd boost gauge to make sure of boost. Any thought would be appreciated. Flapper is also intact on wastegate

What turbocharger is on it? and is he running a scavange pump on the oil return?