Bad traction, next step 4-link and wider wheel house?

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi all!

I have now discoverd that the chassie can't handle all the power from the little V6.
I'm running fresh M/T Et Street 10.5 and they just go up in smoke.
Car has lowering kit and airbag on passenger side.
On the race today i was pedaling the car thruogh first and second gear, this was a big legal street race here in Sweden on cold asphalt but i also had traction problem on pepered track.
Car has run 7.28@100mph 1/8 mile with traction problem.

Questions:

How much wider can i get the wheelhouse without rewelding the frame?
After getting the wheelhouse wider, what are the best backspacing on the wheels for the widest tires and what size of the tires?

What is the easiest way to mount a 4-link on these cars? Just to remove all parts and replace them with a 4-link? Just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
And of course i understand that i need coil overs as well.

Any sites or books tips in this subject?

Thanks for all tips from you guys!

With a wolfracecraft sway bar I got from Cotton my car went 6.74@103.3 mph in the 1/8th. This was on an 8" rim with a 9" Hoosier slick and a 1.53 60 foot time (12lbs of boost launch). It hooked great. I don't think it's a tire issue unless you are using a 26" tall tire. My advice at that point would be to go with a 28" tall tire.....you'll love it :)

By the way, when I first went to the track with my current engine combo I used a 26" tall slick and couldn't even launch the car without going up in smoke because of the tire height.

Thanks for your answer!

I have the 26 high rims, not going to buy M/T ET Street anymore, they are not 9 inch wide.
60 feet with them where 1.68

I'm going to borrow my friends Good Year 28*12 slicks for the next event here in Sweden.
The problem is that it's getting f**king cold here now, this morning i had ice on my car.:eek:

If you are saying that they are 12" wide, they won't fit. My car is now notched and they wouldn't fit lol :)

It sounds like you definitely need a taller tire which gives you a larger contact patch. You should be able to fit a 28x10.50 Mickey Thompson ET Drag or a 28x12.50 ET Street which is about the same size. These would require an 8" or wider rim. But with unmodifed rear frame rails, anything wider than 8" is not going to fit very well.
It will take some massaging of the wheel lip and possibly the inner wheel well.
Another option that is very popular now is to notch the rear frame rails along with cutting the inner wheel wells out and adding in some strips of metal to effectively mini tub it.
With this set up, you should be able to fit a 10" wide rim (approx 5.5" back spacing) and a 28 x 13.50 ET Street.
The lowering kit probably didnt help your suspension geometry much. You might want to check your pinion angle now since it will have certainly changed. The lowering also will make it more difficult to install a taller tire which is so desperately needed on most Turbo Regals that run 11's or faster.
Another thing to add to control chassis roll is an ATR rear sway bar. It will allow you to run less air pressure in the rear air bags.
Remember, you want to keep the rear suspension stiff. If you havent done so already; you will want to remove the front sway bar as well to help with the weight transfer.

ANother thing to consider....
The different slick manufacturers have different ways of measuring their slicks. Just because Mickey Thompson says an ET Street is 28x12.50 doesnt mean anything. It is actually smaller in diameter and narrower than the 28x12.50 the list it as.
The Goodyear 29x12 slicks are very close to their listed size. But a true 12" slick will not fit even with a frame notch.
Unless you have an 8 second car, something that big is not needed. There are still a lot of 8 second G bodies running stock style rear suspensions with 10.5 tires. You should concentrate on other aspects of the suspension.

Sorry guys, my mistake, the Good Year slicks are 28*10, not 12.
I checked them and they are actually a little wider than 10".

Beside them my friend had M/T ET Drag 28*12.5 and they where almost a match on the wide as the 10" Good Year........
So.... that means that the 28*10 Good Year will fit with correct backspacing?

Oh well, not a big issue since one of my freinds has a garage where they deal with tires, gonna go there tomorrow and test one of the Good Year.

1. Remove the swaybar in the front.

2. Order rear swaybar from USA so i have something to do during the long winter here.

The car is as i bought recently from Chicago, haven't checked a thing on it, not even with a scantool except the knock gauge.

PS: 13 years ago we had a race car with 33" high tires, hooked great!:cool: