Bad idle and hesitation

eric86

Hello
I haven't posted in quite awhile, but I could really use some help. But before I ask, I will give you the car's set-up. T-44 turbo, 3 inch downpipe, 40 lb injectors, 93 octane chip, Armstrong fuel pump hot-wired, 3000 stall converter, and 2 1/2 " Hooker cat back exhaust system.
I have let the car sit for awhile and plan to drive it alot more. But now when the car starts up, the car idles high for a second and then comes back down, THEN the idle continues to go up and down very drastically--mainly to the point of stalling. Also, when the car is in first there is a hesitation when taking off--like a lag. The rest of the gears are as smooth as silk. But every time the car comes to a stop or near stop, the car always hesitates to take back off again. Also yesterday for the first time in a long time, I filled up the gas tank, and as the fuel gauge has been acting up wildly, this time the needle actually disappeared below the gauge panel!!! So these are the main problems. My buddy( who I bought the car off of) wanted me to ask these questions: Is the crank trigger stationary or adjustable? Can it be set?
How many lbs of fuel pressure should be at idle for 40 lb injectors?
Which valve dictates the idle?
Thank you for your help--I am a very green rookie when it gets to techno related, so I will provide any other details if asked.
Thanks--Eric S
PS Are those detroit locker rear ends always that noisy when backing up?

eric86 said:
......... My buddy( who I bought the car off of) wanted me to ask these questions:

Is the crank trigger stationary or adjustable? Can it be set?

How many lbs of fuel pressure should be at idle for 40 lb injectors?

Which valve dictates the idle?

Stationary besides the gap. No timing manipulation.

FP depends on the chip. At idle, the FP will drop dending on your vacuum and set-up. FP is set static with the hose off, usually 42-44 PSI. Ask your buddy who the chip is from and what the programmer recommended. That is where you would want to start.

IAC valve dictates idle.

A couple of other things to check:

1. Is the EGR valve stuck part way open at idle? This will throw the idle off. You have to take it off to check this right.

2. For IAC help:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/faq/IACreset.html

3. You may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

4. Did you clear out the ECM after storage? It may need to relearn.

-Mike H.