Bad IAC?

boostfreak

knock? is that good?
Hey guys. Just want to see if I'm tracking on the right problem. Idles really rough. Normally dies at an idle during closed loop. Runs like a champ when throttle is open. I'm pretty sure I just need to adjust the IAC or maybe it's defective. Here are the numbers taken at a rough idle.

AF 04
L8 23
BAT 14.1
INT 129
BLM 130
MPH 0
CLT 121
ATS 65
RPM 675
TPS 42
IAC 175
CC 200
MAL 0
AF 05

The IAC is not "adjustable". You adjust the throttle (then the TPS to compensate) in order to bring the IAC numbers in line. AN IAC number of 175 means that the ECM is asking for more air via the IAC in order to maintain idle.

I suggest removing the IAC and cleaning it and the air passages first, then go thru the throttle setting procedure. Also make sure the throttle body is clean.

What I do is after the car is running at normal operating temps in park with A/C off I turn the adjustment screw on the upper left side of the plenum.On stock set ups about 1-1 1/2 threads of the adjustment screw will emerge thru on the lever side of the throttle body,this is a good starting point.I then verify that the TPS is around .42-.44 at idle and 4.4-4.6 at WOT with key on motor off. Turning the adjustment srew clock wise will lowers IAC #,counter clock wise will raises IAC #.Turn it a little at a time then shut down the car and restart car to reset IAC.I normally look for 10-20 when the car is in park,engine fully warmed up,and the A/C is off.After you achieve this the you must readjust your TPS to .42-.44 at idle and 4.4-4.6 at WOT with key on motor off.To adjust TPS simply loosen both screws on the TPS and pull the sensor toward the front of the car,rotate the sensor clock wise or counter clock wise to adjust.Have someone mash the accelerator to the floor with "key on engine off" and when you achieve 4.4-4.6 tighten bottom bolt on the TPS sensor,then release accelerator and rotate sensor till you achieve .42-.44 then tighten top bolt on TPS sensor.Then after both bolts are tight verify that both idle and WOT TPS readings are within range.Good luck,ikle.