Bad fuel pump?

I

Iamdreaver

I am looking at an 85 turbo t-type soon and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something. The lady told me on the phone that it starts, runs for a minute, then shuts down. My first reaction was a bad fuel pump, but what do you guys think?

Thats what I would assume at first. Bring a fuel pressure guage with you and hook it up. If the fuel system primes correctly but can't keep up when started its probably the problem.

I just got off the phone with the guy selling this ar and he told me that the oil pump was also bad. how do you get to the oil pump on these cars? what about alchohol on a hot air?how do you hook it up?

The oil pump on these cars is much easier to do than most other cars. You don't even have to remove the oil pan. In the fron of the motor where the oil filter screws on, it is screwing directly on to the oil pump. It's external. All you have to do is remove the oil filter (food time to change the oil) and remove some 10mm bolts (about five or six). Get an oil pump rebuild kit (don't go high volume unless you want to remove the timing cover too). You replace the two gears and the pressure relief spring. That's about it. You must be very careful not to nick the aluminum housing when scraping the old gasket off. When you install the new gears, pack them will with Vaseline so the oil pump will prime (start). Before you go buying that car though, make sure the motor soen't have a spun bearing though. It's real easy to say you have a bad oil pump instead of a bad motor. A spu bearing will also cause your oil pressure to drop to almost nothing. I say have the current owner replace the oil pump and if it's OK after that, go ahead and buy it. This is just to cover your end so you don't get stuck with a car that has a bad motor.

this guy that i am buying it from has no idea how to do anything with cars. But it was a mechanic who came and told mhim that that was the problem. Turbov6bryan recomended that i buy an oil pressure gauge and check it when i get to the car. is there any other way to check for a spun bearing?

An audible tapping noise coming from the lower end of the motor. Checking your oil pressure would be good to do. You should see about 37psi@2400rpm.

Where is the car located at - I may be willing to come take a look at it with you.......I've only drove a few :)

The car is at 8 mile and grand river. I would lov it if you could join me!