Bad fuel pump or what?

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
car has racetronix fuel pump kit and accufab fpr. just installed razors alky kit a couple days before also.
some symptoms of my car for the past couple weeks.........
fuel psi is set too 43 line off 39 line on. one day after driving around town for a couple hours (hot day) the fuel psi would dip into the mid 20's. lately the car will start at 39 line on then after an hour of driving around it will be in the mid 30's. it never acted like this when i first installed the fpr, pump and hotwire kit. the night before my car finally died i was boosting around 15lbs with water in the alky kit and it was bucking a little bit and then never did it again. anyways..............

i was driving my car today and it started to stumble at about 30 mph with very mild acceleration and then it died on me. this was after an hour of driving in 80* weather and the fuel was down in the mid 30's again. i tried to start it for about 20 minutes and it would try to fire but then continue to crank over. eventually i drained my battery.

once i got a jump i tried starting it again and it wouldnt try to fire at all. it would just crank over. pulled a spark plug wire from the coil pack and it was sparking. checked the hotwire kit at the alternator and it was getting voltage. checked the kit at the tank and it was getting voltage. the pump was not priming at all when we would turn the ignition on. after about 30 minutes the fuel psi was down to 19 instead of usually still being in the 30's. after an hour or so it was at 3psi. i have a connection to the shrader valve on the drivers side fuel rail for the sending unit for my digital fuel pressure gauge. usually when i start to loosen the connection fuel will spray out. i loosened it and nothing was coming out. i left the valve open and tried cranking the car. nothing was spurting out when it should have been going all over the place.

well i wont bea bel to look at my car to figure this out until sunday so i hope a lot of you read this and can make some suggestions or offer any other kind of help.
thanks in advance

ill add a few more things.
my car has also been hard to start. it will crank longer than it should and i unpluged the hotwire kit and tried to start the car with the fuel pump connected to the stock connectors and still nothing.

The car not starting definately sounds like it is due to the low fuel pressure. Sounds like the low fuel pressure might be from pump. You checked all wiring, filter, any leaks?? How old is pump?
Go to this website and click on link for troubleshooting and then click on link for fuel pressure test http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/.

You sure you didn't run her out of gas?The float in the tank may have got hung up or sender may be giving the fuel level gauge bad readings.:confused: It would seem that even if the pump was bad you would still have some fuel at the rail.

the pump is maybe 2 months old. im almost positive that it didnt run out of gas. the gauge was reading more than a 1/4 of a tank and it is pretty accurate. i will try to put some gas in it and see if anything happens.

how long should my car hold fuel pressure for after it is turned off? the fuel pump was not priming at all when i would turn the ignition off i will check both relays again also. keep the help coming. thanks

pump

Hi!
It sometimes happens that the best of fuel pumps fail. I think this is your case. They (Walbro) should warranty it.It's easy to replace.At least it's not an F body, like myTTA. Good luck!
Dale

Re: pump

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
Hi!
It sometimes happens that the best of fuel pumps fail. I think this is your case. They (Walbro) should warranty it.It's easy to replace.At least it's not an F body, like myTTA. Good luck!
Dale

Walbro killed their warranty program this past spring 2004.
Racetronix provides an in-house warranty / exchange program.
The pump is subject to inspection to rule out being run dry or contaminated.

if i do send the pump in do you guys usually ship out a pump the same day?

if you can't hear the pump priming when you flip the key on, then it's barely running, or not at all. it's probably just barely running since you have a few psi. get a new one.

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
if i do send the pump in do you guys usually ship out a pump the same day?

We can ship prior to receiving your pump back with a deposit or we can ship when your pump arrives w/o a deposit. It usually takes 1-2 business days to process, test and dismantle the pump.

no dropping a fuel tank for me again. i opened up the relay on the passenger side fender and it was filled with black gooey stuff. i have no clue where it came from. i cleaned it up and put a new relay on and the pump works just fine.