Bad Day in the GN...What gives?

Mountain GN

No, it doesn't have a V8.
So, after our Impala SS chewed the water pump this morning, we had to take the GN for a 100 mile trip in 110 degree weather. After experiencing a bizarre code 42 that caused a stumble at cruise, then went away, we hit some traffic where we saw a coolant temp of 235 on the Scanmaster. We got off the freeway and parked, went to Wal-Mart, and had some lunch. A couple of hours later, we crossed our fingers, got in the car and drove home, which involved driving up the I5 Grapevine in SoCal. On the 6 or 7 miles of level highway prior to the climb, we were running about 185, which is good, and when we started up the hill, we saw about 210 and no higher (AC off). Thought we were out of the woods and then...

We got off the freeway for the 18 miles back to the house. We have a long, gradual grade for about 7 miles before it levels off, then turns into a mountain road. As we were leveling off, the motor began to stumble and finally die. We pulled over and I popped the hood and didn't see anything amiss. I did notice that the O2's had dropped as the car was stumbling, indicating what I thought was vapor lock, even though the engine temps were around 205 or so. We sat for about 5 minutes and tried again. Car started normally and got us another mile before having the same problem. After waiting another few minutes we tried again and got another couple of miles. By this time, we were under a heavy rain storm and just sat for about 10 minutes. After that we, started the car and drove the last 4 miles home without incident.

Any idea what this could be? I checked the fuel lines and nothing was up against anything really hot. I don't think it's the fuel pump because I doubt it would come back after only a couple of minutes shut off.

Do I chalk this up to our freakish hot weather and see what happens or is there something else I should check?

Module is about 3 years old and coil pack is 2 months old. I'll verify resistance, but would that cause the low O2 readings when stumbling and missing (<.100 mv) that I've observed?

Module is about 3 years old and coil pack is 2 months old. I'll verify resistance, but would that cause the low O2 readings when stumbling and missing (<.100 mv) that I've observed?

Yes it would. If the engine is missfiring the oxygen level in the exhaust will rise causing low O2 readings.

i know what a bad day is in a gn had plenty of them. today i spent 50 bucks on a fill up and 50 bucks on a tow after i was cruising home and when it shifted in 3rd it snapped the forward drum shaft. opnly 20 miles on tranny.

i know what a bad day is in a gn had plenty of them. today i spent 50 bucks on a fill up and 50 bucks on a tow after i was cruising home and when it shifted in 3rd it snapped the forward drum shaft. opnly 20 miles on tranny.

Sucks, man. I feel a little a better after hearing that. Thing that sucks for me is, I have two broken cars to deal with tomorrow.

I feel for ya man. Imagine driving your TR home from just buying it and that happens to you:eek:. Well it only did that to me the first summer i had it. Has never done it to me since, i was told it was a bad ign module and coil pack after getting heatsoaked. But remember, if you have a bad ign module, a new coil pack wont do any good. The bad ign module will burn the new coil pack out, is this correct? Someone back me on this. But good luck!

FWIW, I haven't driven my GN in almost a year due to a "bad day."

As for what might be the issue: Could be one of the multitude of things listed. Lots of wild guesses being thrown out there.

I have had some strange problems with the ol' GN over the years and I can tell you how I fixed it every time. I have the full GM factory service manual and in it is a full diagnostic section which will lead you to the problem. It is a simple to follow diagnostic chart that if you follow to the "T" chances are very high you will find the problem rather quickly. Otherwise you are just guessing.
Mike

I won't disagree with any of the above possibilities but you have to consider it is the ECM itself. If it threw a code 42 but the code "went away" without resetting, the ECM would be my bet. If the source was the ign module the code would be a "hard" code and not disappear (most likely).

Dean

I vote module also .. I learned the hard way to always change them both at the same time .. If one is weak it shuts off ..cools down & starts back up .. Enough to drive you crazy .. Change both !

I have had a MAF do that but you have an LS1 so it should be good. I vote with coilpac-module like others.
I would get a CD from Jeremy with the manual thats condensed & also do some reading at Vortex Buicks if you haven't bookmarked Steve's site already.

Fuel tank under a 1/4 when you were driving?

Tank was full.

I won't disagree with any of the above possibilities but you have to consider it is the ECM itself. If it threw a code 42 but the code "went away" without resetting, the ECM would be my bet. If the source was the ign module the code would be a "hard" code and not disappear (most likely).

Dean

Interestingly, the CEL light was not on when I had the sputtering problem. The code is still stored in the ECM but the light has not returned since that one instance.

I vote module also .. I learned the hard way to always change them both at the same time .. If one is weak it shuts off ..cools down & starts back up .. Enough to drive you crazy .. Change both !

I have a brand new spare module, so I'll probably slap that in, drive it, and see what happens.