Bad Day At The Emissions Inspection Lanes

Chris S

If anyone's willing to offer up some advice as to how to resolve a problem I had with a failed trip through emissions test, I'm all ears.

First off, the car has all smog equipment in place, and a new TT emissions chip. While in the lanes, the car began running, and sounding like an old dump truck in desperate need of a tune-up. I was moving through pretty quickly, so I didn't have time to really observe the Scanmaster, but I did catch the the BLM was up to 160 at idle. They no sooner put the tube in the tail pipe, and the Service Engine Soon Light lit up, and I got a MAL 13 on the Scanmaster. After all of that, I wasn't expecting much different, but the car failed emissions miserably. The results are below-

HC(PPM)

Readings: Low 621 High 1870
Limits: Low 220 High 220

CO(%)

Readings: Low 0.03 High 3.73
Limits: Low 1.20 High 1.20

C0(%) + C02(%)

Readings: Low 11.71 High 15.02

Now I know I've obviously got a bad O2 sensor which I'll replace this afternoon, but I'm going to go with the safe assumption that it's not the only problem I have on my hands. The cat. I'm going to assume is OK, since it recently got another car through, but I'm not going to rule it out completely. Vacuum leaks, and cracks are possible, but none are readily obvious. PCV's new within the past 100 miles. The EGR is a bit of an unknown, but it must have been working when the car was last inspected, which was two years, and 500+/- miles ago, because it passed, with no problem.

My greatest concern right now is that the car has only one more re-test, and failure, before the state's going to make me jump through hoops to get the thing on the road. This being the case, I'd like to make sure I've pretty much covered everything before I run it back through, so I'm open to any suggestions as to where I should begin looking for problems.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.

looks like o2 isn't reading any fuel...what does maf read at hot idle? temp reading at hot idle? (the higher for emissions the better).

Not sure about the MAF, but if I'm able to get out today, get the new O2 sensor, and get the car running again, I'll check. Again, I moved through the lanes pretty quickly, so I was only able to take a few quick glances at the Scanmaster, but I did catch coolant temps, and they were up at around 203, which is the highest I ever recall, even in the dead of summer.

That sucks you have to do emissions on a 25 year old car.
I cant add much more than already suggested.

I had no idea what "lanes" your were talking about until I googled. I guess I will add Delaware to my list of places not to live. Good luck.

Dropped a new 02 sensor in, got it warm, and at idle, this is what came off the Scanmaster-

02: 300-450
AF: 07
L8: 41
Bat: 14.6
Int: 124
Bl: 143
Cct: 179
Ats: 41
Rpm: 850
Tps: .44
Iac: 36
Cc: 85

Dropped a new 02 sensor in, got it warm, and at idle, this is what came off the Scanmaster-

02: 300-450
AF: 07
L8: 41
Bat: 14.6
Int: 124
Bl: 143
Cct: 179
Ats: 41
Rpm: 850
Tps: .44
Iac: 36
Cc: 85

BL should be 128 or close to it. Whenever I've seen 143 I've found a vacuum leak or two. The last leak I found was one of the throttle body shaft seals. If you can't find the leak(s), have your mechanic do a smoke test, where they inject smoke into a vacuum line and where it comes out is the leak.

BL should be 128 or close to it. Whenever I've seen 143 I've found a vacuum leak or two. The last leak I found was one of the throttle body shaft seals. If you can't find the leak(s), have your mechanic do a smoke test, where they inject smoke into a vacuum line and where it comes out is the leak.

Thanks. It had been 128 until a week ago. Went to the garage, started the car, and found the leak in about a minute. PCV grommet. Capped the line, and it's back to 128. That'll be an easy fix, but not sure if it'll be enough to get me through emissions.

cat?

My opinion is that a new, modern cat is needed to pass todays emissions inspections. I have one welded to another inexpensive downpipe that i put on the GN (once every 2 years) ust for inspection. It's worth the cost & effort to me. ;)

My opinion is that a new, modern cat is needed to pass todays emissions inspections. I have one welded to another inexpensive downpipe that i put on the GN (once every 2 years) ust for inspection. It's worth the cost & effort to me. ;)

The cat that's on there could be classified as a new, modern cat. Minimal miles on it, and it's gotten two other cars through with no problem. I'm not certain that's the problem, but I'm certainly not ruling it out either.

If anyone else could point me in some other possible places to look, I'd greatly appreciate it. If the car had failed by a small margin, an I had unlimited trips through inspection, I wouldn't be concerned, but it failed pretty badly, and I've got one more chance to pass, or I'm in for a pretty irritating experience. Kind of a do or die situation.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, and opinions thus far.

other mods that do help

O2 sensor readings are still too low. Prior to next emissions test,
clean air filter
clean MAF
GM top engine cleaner, then an oil change.
Heated O2 sensor (4-wire)
block the EGR

O2 sensor readings are still too low. Prior to next emissions test,
clean air filter
clean MAF
GM top engine cleaner, then an oil change.
Heated O2 sensor (4-wire)
block the EGR

Big thanks! In the process of doing all you mentioned, and keeping my fingers crossed. Worst case will be that I have to spend almost $800 to have the car rendered emissions exempt, but after the headaches it may be worth it.

Thanks again.

How about adding about 1 gallon of denatured alcohol to the gas tank.

IIRC ,1 gallon of Alky & 10 gallons of gas?
Correct me if I am incorrect.
Good luck!