Bad Bodyshop, recourse?

olds443

Two years ago I bought my Grandfather's 72 Monte Carlo. About 6 months before I bought it he had some rust repair done at a local shop which is the only body shop he ever took it to for repairs. It had started to develop some rust bubbles around the vinyl top and rear window, well those rust bubbles are back now.

Yesterday I was installing an amp and was laying in the trunk when I look up and see how they repaired it and why the rust is returning.... there were giant gobs of bondo that was pressed in and poured down, it is even on some of the wiring.

This is the ****tiest repair work from a "proffesional" shop I have ever seen. Do I have any recourse with these guys? I believe I have the receipts. I just want it fixed right. I would rather have another shop do the work after seeing this. I showed my father who used to do bodywork and he thinks they probably ground the metal down, thinning it out also then just filled it with bondo.

Do I need to get a lawyer? I will definitely go down and be a pain in their a.s.s. as this is nowhere near the right way to repair this and has obviously caused more damage from a poor repair. I WILL make sure other customers of theirs know!

Your grandfather had the work done. You were not their customer. You have no recourse. Neither does he if he signed off on authorizing repairs. Only if there is a warranty could he get anything out of 'em. You can call better business bureau and spread the word about them around town but that's about it.

Doubt if you can get anything done.
The first thing you need to find out is what kind of work was requested.

At our shop, we always have people coming in requesting we fix things as cheap as possible, they don't care how long it last (we refuse any of these jobs). If this is the case with your grandfather, maybe they did the repair as requested...

Either way, NO shop warrants rust unless the entire panel is replaced. There is just no way to fight it with out replacing it.

A dime sized rust spot ican be a foot in diameter on the inside...

This is what I thought, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask. I know my Grandfather and I know he asked for it to be fixed right, just wish we would have seen it sooner. He never worried about cost with this car. One day I will give it a complete frame off restoration, she deserves it.
I will spread the word on this bodyshop though.
BTW, Thorsson's in Novato, Ca