Backfiring/driveability problem

trivownr

I have an 85, stock except for an 86/87 ignition coil and module, 160 degree thermostat and red top injectors out of a Thunderbird Super Coupe . Here is what it is doing. Starts fine. Idles around 1000 RPM (by the in-dash tach) for a minute or so, then drops back to about 600-800 RPM. At 600-800 RPM, it's lumpy. When you put it in gear and attempt to accelerate, it hesitates or stalls. Best way to get it moving is to bring the RPMs up over 1000 and put it in gear. Once moving, it hesitates till RPMs get up around 1500, then it accelerates OK. Also, after the engine warms up it idles and accelerates with little to no hesitation. When cruising at a constant 45 or 55 it does fine for a while, then bucks/hesitates. At that point, if you accelerate easy, it continues to hesitate. If you accelerate moderately to hard, it doesn't hesitate. However, when you accelerate hard and let off the gas, it backfires.

I have replaced the ECM, IAC, and temp sensor. Coil tests out at 11.58, 11.71, and 11.87 (20K ohms). Plug wires are between .82 and 1.47 (again at 20K ohms setting). I don't remember the brand of the plugs...they are several years old, but have a couple hundred miles on them, at the most.

I troubleshot the IAC Leads and have power from all 4. I have not been able to get the desired 25-40 count readings the manual calls for. When in normal ALDL mode, the IAC numbers appear to be static (73 counts 28%), when I put it in diagnostic mode, then I can see the IAC counts change.

The TPS reads .42 at idle and 4.6 at WOT.

And, yes, my Hotair is a Riviera. You may think there is a lot of difference in the engines, but there are more similarities than differences. They have different exhaust manifolds, crossover and downpipe, a different turbo and manifold adapter. The block and intake is the same and I believe the electronics are the same, too. So just give me the same advice you'd give a guy with a Hot Air Regal T Type or GN and I'll take it from there.

Phil Cooley