Backfires When I Accelerate

TurboGN

What's the point of having a GN if you can't accelerate? Its been going on for about 1 1/2 yrs. and appears to be getting steadily worse. Normal driving is fine. If I go over about 1/4 throttle the car backfires and I have to let off. Can you say Embarassing? It doesn't do it everytime. I've changed the coil, wires, ESC, ignition module, knock sensor and ECM. The EGR and solenoid are new but deleted via champion irons. Ground wires are tight and all vacuum lines new. No malfunction codes appear on the Scanmaster. Any help with this intermittent backfire is greatly appreciated. Joel

I've already reset the cam sensor and assured the holding bolt is tight. Thanks, Joel

I can't see how bluetops could keep up with champion Irons. What Kind of Boost are we talking about? 18 psi?

Maybe it just doesn't have enough fuel.

UNGN, it gets no detonation, i.e., 22-24 psi with minimun O2s around 790. I believe the alky supplementation helps keep it from running out of fuel. However, 50's are on my list. I don't have direct scan so the pulse width and duty cycles are unknown. The backfires occur prior to WOT so I've eliminated static injectors from the potential problem list. Joel

I'm not saying it detonates, I'm saying that there isn't enough fuel to burn in transitional throttle opening.

Have you tried turning your boost down. I had the same problem. Fixed it with a walboro gss340 :D

UNGN, what you say makes sense because I've replaced everything but the injectors and chip. Blackbandit, I turned the boost down to 20# and it still does it. I have an XP pump. Joel

Maybe you should quickly test your coilpack. Set your multimeter to 20K ohms and it should read between 11-13 ohms. Just connect the coils on the same pack. If it tests bad replace it. If it tests good, it could still be bad. On my car with a bad coilpack it drove fine normally and got steadly worse the longer I drove it.

Good Luck,

James

James, its done it with three different coil packs - the original, one from Kirbans, and a Wells from the Zone. Joel

First I would get a scan tool and record some data. This will go far in helping. I did not notice anything about your MAF sensor. Have you tried a known good one? This will also create issues like you are experiencing. Also what plugs and wires are you running? Let us know.

Machinegun, Direct Scan and laptop are on my list. The MAF is a 3" (Impala SS) with Translator (not +). Translator is set at ON, ON, ON, OFF for the dipswitches, 3 for base and 0 for WOT. All wiring/connections have been checked and rechecked. I'm running Autolite 25's with 10mm Magnecors. Switched out the Magnecors with a new set of OEM and made no difference. I will be replacing the plugs with AC's this week although they look like new. Joel

James, its done it with three different coil packs - the original, one from Kirbans, and a Wells from the Zone. Joel

Ah, maybe I should've read your post better. ;) After checking everything posted I'd start to suspect the timing chain or springs, but you might have checked that already. 1 1/2 years later and it's still doing this? I would have went nuts! :eek:

James

James, I replaced the timing chain/gears with a Dynagear, the springs were installed by Tom Allen (Champion) and, yes, its driving me nuts. I will surely post the fix if I ever find it. I've been reluctant to post in the past in fear of it being something stupid. It backfired the first time in late January of 02. The setup was essentially the same as now with no components recently replaced when it happened. I've been checking and replacing everything short of new injectors, chip, and Direct Scan. I appreciate all suggestions. Joel

A backfire is "usually" associated with an electrical problem. If you have changed or tried different sensors and chips, it could be more difficult like crank sensor, cam sensor or balancer.

We usually start troubleshooting problems like this by driving and watching T-Link or similar for unusual occurances. Scanmaster is not sufficient to observe and obtain data.

A 1/4 throttle is not indicative of a valve train problem unless it is in initial stages of wiping a cam. Mechanical problems are usually consistant, not intermittant.

First item, change the chip and completely remove the direct scan stuff.

Nick, changing the chip has definitely crossed my mind but it was there long before the backfiring began so I'm reluctant. Its a RA and seems to work really well (when it doesn't backfire). I don't have direct scan and I agree that the Scanmaster is not sufficient. I'm really starting to envisage a laptop with scantool right now. I plan to check the bolts on my balancer and re-recheck the cam and crank sensors this week. Thanks, Joel

If you run a Translator +, check your timing wires. They have been known to cause your car to backfire...

-DC:cool:

Sinful6, its not the +, however, I did recheck all the wiring. In fact, I removed and replaced with an OEM maf and noticed no difference. Joel