back surgery

b231v6

Anybody have a lumber disectomy surgery performed? I'm having it done on monday on the L5/s1 disc. Wondering who else has gone thru this. Sounds like the only way to get rid of this fricken pain in my a** and leg.

Well, I haven't had that surgery, but I was under the impression that to get rid of the "pain in one's ass" one would have to get a divorce? ;) (PLEASE don't repeat that to my wife!)

Just trying to give you a chuckle before your surgery. Good luck, and it truly is amazing what Surgeons can do these days... you'll be fine!

You can't beleive How many times I've thought about that. I'm very good at nooding my head and doing something else.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm wondering about how long recovery will be. They say up to a month before I can return to my type of work.g

Originally posted by b231v6
Anybody have a lumber disectomy surgery performed? I'm having it done on monday on the L5/s1 disc. Wondering who else has gone thru this. Sounds like the only way to get rid of this fricken pain in my a** and leg.

Seriously hurt my back in a car accident, and wound up with Herrington rods holding my back together. My advise is to do exactly what they say to do when they say to do it while recovering. I over did it, and it took what would have been a 6 month recovery to over a year, just that quick.

If they give you anything for pain, use as little as possible so you can feel your body tell you if you're over doing it. For sleeping is fine, IMO.

Best of luck,

one thing i will tell you is after the precedure is done, be very aggressive with the rehab. make sure your doc and your PT. know this. force them to be aggresive with your rehab. you will reget it if you dont.

honestly you have nothing to fear if your surgen is good you will be fine. you have to work the system to get well. you will need to use the entire team of doctors and PTs. if you dont like what they are telling you then find some one that will tell you what you want to hear. ultimatley you know your body better then they do. tell them in detail want you wanna be able to do, dont let them just push you along on their agenda. you make it and have them devise a plan to suit your needs.

sorry its late and i can not type or spell. excuse the mess if its hard to read.

Yes, make sure you have the best doctor around. Follow rehab to a t. My bro had this done 2 years ago - he's worse off today with metal now in his back. Now he's in NY looking for the best doctor (his was the best before the surgery:rolleyes: ).

Thanks for the information guys. Plan on taking a month off work. Do the walking thing and then start hitting the p.t. heavier--streching,lower back muscle and stomach exercises.
The wife's more worried than me-not about the operation,but being home for a month. Just remember to keep nodding.