back hatch problem/suggestion

Cleaner13

The Cleaner
ok like many before me I ran into a problem with my back hatch, I dont know the actual problem of what is really happening

So instead of wasting time to diagnose it, I was wondering is there a way to install a manual operated hatch instead of this power one, not sure if manual is the proper name but I would want it exactly like a normal trunk where I could just close it regularly and not have to worry about it being pulled down or not being pulled down etc. I feel it would save some weight to the car(not much) but mostly it will save me headaches of knowing that something as simple as the trunk is going to close all the time

thanks guys

Carl

Simple solution, but a p.i.t.a. to do. Go to the bone yard and pick up a normal non motorized hold down mech. You'll have to break the spot welds holding the original on there. next climb inside the trunk with a flashlight and the new mech lock in on the ring close the hatch and make marks as to where the pop rivets will be punched.

Keep in mind I'm only 5'6" on a good day. You'll have to take all the panels off to work properly. I've had to do it before. P.I.T.A. yes but definately a cure all for the ailment....

I just had to replacer mine too. I went back with the power latch. You can get a replacement kit from www.carmotorsports.com. It is superior to the stock unit. Much stronger. I think it is around $70 bucks. Takes about 10 minutes to replace. Good luck.:)

Mine is shot too, top-downsolutions has a rebuild kit and all the parts to make it work again. $22 for the guides that I need and another $78 for struts (need them too) and since I can't get them that cheap in town I may as well order them and divide the shipping between parts. BTW, I prefer to support the people who support our cars (Turbo Buick or 3rd Gen F-Body).

auto deck release

Hi! I think what screws up the release mechanisms more than anything else is bad deck struts. The things have to work HARD to pick up that big hunk of glass and steel. My '86 still functions, but never use the release due to the afore mentioned problem. Beware if you replace the unit!