Av-gas 100 low lead????

I ran 100LL in my 427 Chevelle for about 10 years. 10 second car with 13/1 comp. and big roller cam and dominator carb. I ran the stuff on the street and at the track. Even did comparison tests at the track between it and cam 2. No difference between the two. I have not run it in my Buick because I am unsure of the motor octane. For two bucks a gallon if your only gonna run 23 or 24 pounds of boost I would not hesitate. I'm tring to run 27 or higher so c-16 or 23 is what I use but it realy sucks spending $10 a gallon :eek: . As far as 100LL tearing up plugs and valves, I can say in my case that is not true. Good luck.

just as a bit of fuel to the flames on this gasoline delema, as an faa aviation mechanic, first off the previous statement about cylinder heads being pulled every 100hrs, not correct, faa 100hr only is only required for comercially used airplanes, and not personal, and it does not invilve the removal of the cylinder heads , only a compression check, head removal is not an inspection but a major repair not included in 14 CFR part 43, aircraft engines operate at very high tempratures, so hot that the underside of the pistons are finned to transfer heat to the oil to prevent the burning of pistons, at these super high internal cylinder tempratures without high octane ratings the chance of detionation would be very high. aviation fuels are also rated differently than automotive, they are rated on the percentage of actual octane contained in the fuel, up to 100 percent, and anything above that figure is considered to be a performance number which is an aproximation of the extension of the octane scale, unlike automotive fuels that are rated on there actual knock resistance that is determined by a once cylinder test engine with internal cylinder pressure probes. but all in all it will not harm your engine, except for fouling the o2 sensors, it does not absorb moisture as previously mentioned, we drain the tanks becaus the chances of fuel line ice are greater than on an automotive engine and the end results more devistating, and cars have an ammount of fuel that is not usable, but airplanes recieve fuel from the tanks lowest point, so the posibility of sucking water is greater. if any engien was going to burn exhaust valves it would be an aviation engine with the super high temps, most aviation engines run sodium filled valves, do you, they have super high valves temps that the extra lead helps to prevent seat errosion, but due to the higher lead content the fuel contains additives to remove lead deposits from the cylinders, but all in all its the lead content that makes the fuel illegal for the street, and its because of the epa not its running capabilities, internal combustion engiens are all the same, especially in the same fuel catagory, if there was evwen a slight problem wth this gas, then the faa would ban it.
Grant

yea, what they said,and a few planes use automotive engines, and a few are supercharged as well, you know the air gets thinner the higher you go so turbo helps out a bit....

corrosive? not in my experience. In fact I ran with no fuel filter for along time as well with a holley, and never even stuck a float, its clean stuff,,,,,,but it should be, I d hate to have an engine problem in plane anytime....

Yes, for running on kill 116 is better but still not best....what about 125 race? Thats how you get a stock block in the 9's....

;)

For test and tune and playing av gas is hard to beat. Oh and Ive been 7.77@176 using it....it was flying!

wht87t,
well i do like fixing, but thanks to a friend i am going to be flying in a few months, its time to get my commercial ticket.
grant

hi,
ok,so what is the octane rating on the avgas on the same scale as our race fuel?

nick,